OldsPower.com  

Go Back   OldsPower.com > Discussion > The Lounge
Register Forums Gallery Support Us! FAQ Mark Forums Read

Help Support OldsPower.com

Old 09-19-2003, 05:26 PM   #1
Laurence

Default Cable TV Ad - Vinyl & Leather Repair Kit

Every so often while I'm surfing the cable channels I have seen an ad for a vinyl and leather repair kit. Anybody have any experience with the kit? I was wondering if it could be used to repair cracks in dashboards? JCWhitney also has some repair kits, which are probably very similar.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/SearchCatContainer.jhtml;$sessionid$X0P230YAABFD2QSNDV0SFE0CJUOXKIV0?_reque stid=76129

http://www.jcwhitney.com/SearchCatCo...equestid=76370

If the above links don't work enter 12UH5493Y and 17UH9730U in the JCW "Product Search" box at:

http://www.jcwhitney.com/

_____

Laurence

Last edited by Laurence : 09-19-2003 at 09:00 PM.
Old 10-29-2003, 09:09 PM   #2
Psyco Diver 69

Title: Not your dad's Olds
Photos:Users Photo Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Psyco Diver 69

I'm curious about that too, my front seat has a rip in it and I saw a kit in Wal-mart

www.cardomain.com/id/psycodiver69
Old 10-29-2003, 10:08 PM   #3
Brando

I have a kit similar to those kits...except I haven't used it yet, have a little rip in the dash, plan to fix it with the stuff, someday...other things need to be done first.
Old 10-30-2003, 09:01 AM   #4
Laurence

Hello Psyco and Brando,

I imagine that the kits might work on a dash (e.g., to repair cracks), but not sure about seats where there will be stress. I'm wondering about success with a dash application in that it receives a lot of heat and I'm just wondering if the repair material will withstand the heat. I have about three cracks in my dash ('72 -98) that I would like to cover-up (i.e., fill in). Then trying to match the color might be a challenge. My dash is a very dark brown/green hue.

______

Laurence

Last edited by Laurence : 10-30-2003 at 09:28 AM.
Old 10-30-2003, 03:08 PM   #5
Brando

Yes...that's one of the things that kind of puzzles me is trying to get the color matched perfectly. As for the standing up to heat, not really too sure, you have to heat it to cure it, so I am thinking that it should stand up to heat fairly well. As for doing seats, not sure if that would work out too well, best to just get em recovered, but I think there is a different special kit for seats...
Old 10-30-2003, 07:26 PM   #6
Laurence

Hello Brando,

[quote]Originally posted by Brando
[b]>>Yes...that's one of the things that kind of puzzles me is trying to get the color matched perfectly. <<

I'm hoping that mixing their green with some black and maybe a drop of brown will get me close to my dash's color, which is a very dark olive.

>> As for the standing up to heat, not really too sure, you have to heat it to cure it, so I am thinking that it should stand up to heat fairly well. <<

I forgot about that! U R correct...it should work on dashes.

>> As for doing seats, not sure if that would work out too well, best to just get em recovered, but I think there is a different special kit for seats...<<

Bad seats are fortunately not one of my issues. The seats in my car were covered from the day my father brought the car home in 1972. I removed the seat covers recently and found the original seat coverings in perfect shape.

______

Laurence

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: