OldsPower.com  

Go Back   OldsPower.com > Discussion > Brakes/Suspension/Rear End
Register Forums Gallery Support Us! FAQ Mark Forums Read

Help Support OldsPower.com

Old 01-25-2010, 08:25 PM   #1
Rok_StaRs_Bars

Title: Oldsmohaulic
Default G-body Brakes Upgrade installed!!!!

EDITED: To anwser a post: Parts needed off your donor 98-05 blazer, jimmy, bravada, I think Im missing one more of the GM mid-size SUV, and also s-10 exteme is the whole brake/spindle assb including brake lines (If you want to use your OEM Brake lines then you need 2 edelmann 258340 3/16- 1/4 brake line adapters.) So a break down. The Rotor and Dual Piston Caliper can come off of any 98-05 blazer, jimmy, bravada, s10 extreme. All of these starting in 98 had the 11 rotor with dual pistons. The only difference in the 4wd and the 2wd with the braking is the brake line mount different on the 4wd caliper. Which is ok. But on the 4wd the spindle is made different so the CV axle can mount to it.Which from my understanding you can use the 4wd spindle. You will just have a hole in the middle of the hub for a CV axle to mount it. But I also been wondering if you use a 4wd spindle could this bring the weight down alittle bit. IDK I never heard of everyone trying a 4wd spindle yet. Even tho I have read them say it will work

* 98-05 2wd or 4wd 11inch Rotor
* 98-05 2wd or 4wd Dual Piston Caliper
* 98-05 2wd Spindle
* 98-05 Brake Line unless you want to use your OEM brake line then you need the 2 edelmann 258340 3/16- 1/4 brake line adapters.

ok, I installed the 98-05 blazer, jimmy, etc... brake upgrade today. This upgrade is a 11 inch rotor and dual pistons setup vs our factory 10.5 rotor and single piston. So a pretty big upgrade. You must have 15" inch or bigger rims. When you get this brake assb get the brake hose and mounting plate too. Which in my case work great since I found my OEM brake hose was shot.

Tools needed: Tie rod ends have a 17mm nut, Lower ball joint I used a 15/16 wrench to remove the nut it was alittle loose but worked, and upper ball jount was a 7/8 nut. To remove the abs sensor you need a regular 3/16 allen wrench, you will have to use the short L bend to get single screw out. And a IDK the proper name for this tool but a ball joint fork to spilt the lower/upper a-arm from the spindle (In my case my ball joint boots were already torn, but this fork really FUBAR them) . A big hammer, 13mm to remove the brake line mounting plate on the frame, whateva you use to remove cotter pins, an also some new cotter pins (6)

I readed on other forums you will line adaptars. Well I got the p/n from another forum bought them. And to find out I didnt need them. I didnt know why use ppls do. Maybe John or someone could shed some light on that. But you will need to bend your hard brake line on each side to connect it to the blazer mounting plate. It sits different from OEM

It took me 40 mins a side to remove, install, and cotter pin. I did run into a HUGE PROBLEM. My cutlass is 1981. Does anyone want to guess what was different from 1981 and 1982 with g-bodies. The LUGNUTS.. LOL So I couldnt mount my wheels and test drive today. But I go to Summit tomorrow and buy the some correct Lugnuts LOL.

Oh!!!!! and I have heard this brake combo was heavier. So I got the scale out to see much. The stock g-body rotor/caliper/and spindle assb weighs 40 lbs. The 98-05 blazer rotor/caliper/spindle assb weighs 46 lbs and as you can see from the pics I have about a pound of dirt stuck in the rotor LOL. So this brake upgrade will add 12lbs to the front of your car. LOL that just an Front aluminium bumper core to equal that out. And have greater braking.

Stock Brake assb

98-05 Brake assb

SO hopefully I can give some real world test tomorrow. I also changed my Brake Master Cyl. It was fading real bad. So I assume this will be a big difference
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 008.jpg (37.6 KB, 2227 views)
File Type: jpg 006.jpg (46.1 KB, 2157 views)
File Type: jpg 018.jpg (40.5 KB, 2155 views)
File Type: jpg 019-1.jpg (43.8 KB, 2149 views)
File Type: jpg 016.jpg (45.5 KB, 2159 views)

2002 Pontiac Trans am WS6 M6 Blown up engine
Mods: SLP Ram Air/CAI, K&N, SLP Bellow, LS6 intake, SLP Headers, SLP Off-road Y pipe, SLP Loudmouth I, SLP PowerFlo Mufflers, ECM Tuned, 18lbs Flywheel, LS7 Clutch, and Tick Clutch M/C.
1981 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Brougham Ex-Diesel
455, Ga Heads, Lo-Cr, Edelbrock Performer Intake, Quadajet, Hooker Super Comp Headers, 3in exhaust-X-pipe-Turbo Style Mufflers.
2005 Suzuki Katana 600

Last edited by Rok_StaRs_Bars : 01-27-2010 at 05:09 AM.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:40 PM   #2
IIIQuaZIII

Title: Master of Disaster
Photos: 12  Users Photo Gallery
Send a message via AIM to IIIQuaZIII Send a message via Yahoo to IIIQuaZIII
Default Re: G-body Brakes Upgrade installed!!!!

Good info, thanks for the write up. I have been thinking of doing this next summer. 12 pounds ain't too bad... Good to know about the lug nuts. Let us know how the real world action test does!

iiiquaziii@yahoo.com, iiiquaziii on AIM/iiiquaziii on Yahoo messenger and gmail and gtalk. http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.p...00001623773081 in facebook.

Last edited by IIIQuaZIII : 01-26-2010 at 12:12 PM.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:09 PM   #3
FE3X CLONE

Title: I Have an Olds Life

Yep.

In 1981 the Lug Nuts were still SAE 7/16"-20. In '82 (I believe) they switched to the metric 12mmx1.5.

Found that out when I tried to use an old set of lugnuts from my '87 on my brother's '81.

1987 Cutlass Supreme FE3X Clone project
EFI455/T-56 6 speed/4.30

Old 01-26-2010, 04:09 AM   #4
Rok_StaRs_Bars

Quote:
Originally Posted by FE3X CLONE View Post
Yep.

In 1981 the Lug Nuts were still SAE 7/16"-20. In '82 (I believe) they switched to the metric 12mmx1.5.

Found that out when I tried to use an old set of lugnuts from my '87 on my brother's '81.
LOL... I tried installed the lug nuts for about literally 2 mins. On 3 different studs before I finally realize why they wasnt working.

Mods: SLP Ram Air/CAI, K&N, SLP Bellow, LS6 intake, SLP Headers, SLP Off-road Y pipe, SLP Loudmouth I, SLP PowerFlo Mufflers, ECM Tuned, 18lbs Flywheel, LS7 Clutch, and Tick Clutch M/C.
455, Ga Heads, Lo-Cr, Edelbrock Performer Intake, Quadajet, Hooker Super Comp Headers, 3in exhaust-X-pipe-Turbo Style Mufflers.
2005 Suzuki Katana 600
Old 01-26-2010, 06:27 PM   #5
JrVipr

Title: Olds in the Blood

So what parts were actually required for the swap? Also assuming it was a 2wd truck you got the donor parts from?. Would like to know so I could go on the scavenge hunt.
Old 01-27-2010, 05:11 AM   #6
Rok_StaRs_Bars

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrVipr View Post
So what parts were actually required for the swap? Also assuming it was a 2wd truck you got the donor parts from?. Would like to know so I could go on the scavenge hunt.
I edit my first post to anwser your question.

2005 Suzuki Katana 600
Old 01-27-2010, 05:15 AM   #7
Rok_StaRs_Bars

My well got my Lug nuts yesterday, Install my wheels and bled the brakes really good. And went on a test drive. LOL. I should have got them rotor turned. Now my rotors is glazed. And I have brake dust all over the rims. So next week when I get back from my National Guard duties. I will get my rotors turned and new pads and go from there.

2005 Suzuki Katana 600
Old 02-03-2010, 07:39 PM   #8
retiredmech2

Title: Olds Freak
Send a message via Yahoo to retiredmech2

did you change your upper control arms?
Old 02-04-2010, 03:51 AM   #9
Rok_StaRs_Bars

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredmech2 View Post
did you change your upper control arms?
Nope!!!!

2005 Suzuki Katana 600
Old 02-06-2010, 07:44 PM   #10
monzaz

No bearing hub like the older rwd front rotors So you swapped the whole spindle from a 2wd truck or 4 wheel drive truck?

Is that a sealed bearing hub then I assume? Yes?

Jim
Old 02-07-2010, 06:43 AM   #11
Rok_StaRs_Bars

Quote:
Originally Posted by monzaz View Post
No bearing hub like the older rwd front rotors So you swapped the whole spindle from a 2wd truck or 4 wheel drive truck?

Is that a sealed bearing hub then I assume? Yes?

Jim
From a 2wd 98-05 blazer and other GM mid-size SUV . And yes sealed bearing hubs. Some ppls looked down on the seal bearing hub. Becuz you cant change the grease to a High Temp Grease. So they said for road racing theses might not be for you.

The 4wd setup will work, It just has a hole in middle of the hub for a half shaft to mount to. So you would have a hole on middle of your hub. But Im sure it could be pluged easliy.

I talked to SC&C about them last friday. He said, there is no suspension geometry changed. So all of his upgrade works like it should with this upgrade.

2005 Suzuki Katana 600
Old 02-08-2010, 08:10 AM   #12
monzaz

shoot I like that...SEALED bearing is fine. Jim
Old 02-08-2010, 08:39 AM   #13
83hurstguy

Title: It's not fast enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rok_StaRs_Bars View Post
The 4wd setup will work, It just has a hole in middle of the hub for a half shaft to mount to. So you would have a hole on middle of your hub. But Im sure it could be pluged easliy.
Actually, the control arm for the 4WD trucks goes the other way for the lower arm, so the ball joint taper is reversed. So from what I have seen, no it won't.
Old 02-08-2010, 09:42 AM   #14
Rok_StaRs_Bars

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83hurstguy View Post
Actually, the control arm for the 4WD trucks goes the other way for the lower arm, so the ball joint taper is reversed. So from what I have seen, no it won't.
WOW!! thankyou... I search for awhile. And couldnt find anything on why a 4wd would not work

2005 Suzuki Katana 600
Old 03-02-2010, 04:05 PM   #15
stonecoldcutty

Photos:Users Photo Gallery

so the 2wd is a direct bolt in to stock arms then? what about the geometry for alignment purposes?
Old 03-02-2010, 04:29 PM   #16
Rok_StaRs_Bars

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecoldcutty View Post
so the 2wd is a direct bolt in to stock arms then? what about the geometry for alignment purposes?
nothing changes... Direct bolt-in

2005 Suzuki Katana 600
Old 03-04-2010, 10:54 AM   #17
86gutlass

I tryed geting a wheel stud from a 81 (7/16 x 20) to fit in the hub of the s-10 set up and it doesnt.anyone know of a wheel stud thats 7/16 x 20 that will fit in the s-10 hub?Would be nice to have all the same size lug nuts.
86 Cutlass-Rocket Racing Built 455 .040 over,C-heads,Turbo 400,Ford 9inch,3:50 gears.
Old 03-04-2010, 11:47 AM   #18
Rok_StaRs_Bars

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86gutlass View Post
I tryed geting a wheel stud from a 81 (7/16 x 20) to fit in the hub of the s-10 set up and it doesnt.anyone know of a wheel stud thats 7/16 x 20 that will fit in the s-10 hub?Would be nice to have all the same size lug nuts.
Yeah I agree. I dont like having 2 different types of lugnuts. But I plan on a upgraded rear end in the future. Which will have the matching studs.

2005 Suzuki Katana 600
Old 03-04-2010, 01:30 PM   #19
86gutlass

I have a Ford 9 inch.It has 7/16x20 studs
86 Cutlass-Rocket Racing Built 455 .040 over,C-heads,Turbo 400,Ford 9inch,3:50 gears.
Old 03-04-2010, 02:16 PM   #20
Rok_StaRs_Bars

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86gutlass View Post
I have a Ford 9 inch.It has 7/16x20 studs
oh... I dont know

2005 Suzuki Katana 600
Old 07-25-2010, 05:23 PM   #21
Veltboy618

I was searching for a cheap brake upgrade & found this thread. I might end up going with the setup that you have in the front. You said that you plan to upgrade rear end in the future... Will that be another direct bolt on from another donor vehicle? If so what car is it because I plan on upgrading my rear too.
Old 07-25-2010, 05:39 PM   #22
Veltboy618

I have another question. Will that dual piston caliper from the blazer bolt right onto a 84 cutlass spindle? I want to keep my factory spindles but upgrade the caliper
Old 07-25-2010, 06:13 PM   #23
Rok_StaRs_Bars

Quote:
Originally Posted by veltboy314 View Post
I have another question. Will that dual piston caliper from the blazer bolt right onto a 84 cutlass spindle? I want to keep my factory spindles but upgrade the caliper
Negative, u must use the whole setup to be a bolt-on mod... I believe wildwood makes a bolt-on dual piston set-up. But my knowledge of other kits is not good either.

2005 Suzuki Katana 600
Old 07-25-2010, 06:18 PM   #24
Rok_StaRs_Bars

Quote:
Originally Posted by veltboy314 View Post
I was searching for a cheap brake upgrade & found this thread. I might end up going with the setup that you have in the front. You said that you plan to upgrade rear end in the future... Will that be another direct bolt on from another donor vehicle? If so what car is it because I plan on upgrading my rear too.
Im goin a cheap route using a 71 cutlass 8.5 rear-end with GTA offset rims, with UMI conversion upper control arms. Still not a bolt-on mod, must relocate spring perches, tweak shock mount, and brake line. Or a longer brake line.

2005 Suzuki Katana 600
Old 07-25-2010, 06:32 PM   #25
Veltboy618

I wish I could affors the wildwood set-up... Looks like I'll be taking a trip to pick & pull to see if I can find on of those vehicles to get the parts. Thanks for the info...

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: