OldsPower.com  

Go Back   OldsPower.com > Discussion > The Lounge
Register Forums Gallery Support Us! FAQ Mark Forums Read

Help Support OldsPower.com

Old 12-28-2009, 07:54 PM   #1
Beeterolds

Title: Armed and Hammered
Photos: 11  Users Photo Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Beeterolds Send a message via MSN to Beeterolds Send a message via Yahoo to Beeterolds
Angry This is really pissing me off..

So i was looking around today at my parts store.. more or less facing and straighting up the place when i looked at some of their "high performance parts".. ok ill get to the point and quickly!! Just about everything said Made in China! WHAT THE F*CK!! Heres a list of the commonly produced ONCE American MADE awesome bolt on thats made us proud to say im an American High performance enthusiast!! NOW HECHO EN CHINE!! wtf

Msd Blaster coil.. Made in China..
Accel Super coil(s)... Made in China..
Accel Super Stock wires.. the package once said Made in USA but was covered with a MADE IN CHINA sticker..
B&M megashifter.. MADE IN CHINA..
Weiand Single Plane SBC intake.. Casting imported from China, Machined and Engineered in the USA... Whooptie Doo..
And of course the Miscellanious chrome bricka brak that Mr. Gasket offers.. Btw i was going to work for them 4yrs back.. making Hurst Shifters.. good thing i turned them down... because everyone in that department got laid off soon after.. because all their shifter opperations got moved.. to.. you guessed it.. CHINA..

Its just aggravating.. cause well we all know even a few years ago it wasnt this bad.. Im not sure about you guys.. but i dont think ill pay the same price for this stuff even if the quality is close.. or even better simply because these companies pussed out and went with cheaper labor.. its not fair..

on one good note.. i stumbled across a new Performer intake.. that was completely Made in the USA.. Vic Edelbrock even had an interview with HP Tv talking about his new foundry in SO-Cal and said that he couldnt bear moving such operations overseas because hes so much against it.. Well thats at least some good news.. but for how long before he jumps on the bandwagon?

sorry guys im just ranting because it seems this country has sold its soul to the devil.. Even us Auto enthusiasts are suffering more that we should.. I have nothing against China.. i really dont.. The Chinese are some of the smartest inventors and innovators throughout time but seriously.. We know they dont get paid squat.. yet the products prices remain the same.. Either we as workers are greedy and demand too high of wages and benefits and are putting the pressure on these companies to move operations.. or the companies are just greedy, filling white collar pockets with overpriced cheaply manufactured goods..

Im just pissed.. and i think all of us as enthusiasts should be too..
GM 8.5 3.73
Old 12-28-2009, 08:28 PM   #2
Rok_StaRs_Bars

Title: Oldsmohaulic
Default Re: This is really pissing me off..

I didnt know MSD stuff was made in China. I wonder if it is just there low grade stuff. I know accel alwayz been kinda on the cheaper side, that doesnt surprize me. I plan on checking out the MSD plant in El Paso in Feb when my family goes there to visit the in-laws.

2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 M6 (Engine out of 2000 Camaro Z28) Mods: SLP Ram Air/CAI, K&N, SLP Bellow, LS6 intake, SLP Headers, SLP Off-road Y pipe, SLP Loudmouth I, SLP PowerFlo Mufflers, Tuned by Vengeance Racing, 18lbs Flywheel, LS7 Clutch, and Tick Clutch M/C.
1981 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Brougham Ex-Diesel
455, Ga Heads, Lo-Cr, Edelbrock Performer Intake, Quadajet, Hooker Super Comp Headers, 3in exhaust-X-pipe-Turbo Style Mufflers.
2005 Suzuki Katana 600
Back on the Road 7/13/2014.
Old 12-28-2009, 08:50 PM   #3
firedowg

just think about how empty your life would be if you only bought U.S. its really sad.
Old 12-28-2009, 09:11 PM   #4

Title: Proud Olds Owner

It's all about those big business types lining there pockets...that aint never gonna change.. But we as consumers could stop buying the crap, in some cases its hard the market is absolutely flooded with it.. I tried to buy a pair of jeans a while back that were made in Canada or the States man I traveled to half a dozen stores and finally said to hell with it.. Although I bought some rotors for my truck a while back and bought "the cheap ones" assuming they would be made in China but hey they said made in U.S.A. go figgur..
Old 12-28-2009, 10:25 PM   #5
dan2286

Title: I Have an Olds Life

I hear ya. Honestly, there is not much we can do about it unless we keep buying the used stuff from everyone here and other forums It is so hard to find stuff that is actually made in the US, and when you do find it, it is so damn over priced.
Old 12-29-2009, 12:43 AM   #6
J-(Chicago)

Ok, I'll explain this as simply as I can.

Producing everything under the sun over here, causes mass pollution. I remember my father putting blankets outside to air dry on the clothes line, and the cinders from the steel mill would be all over the blankets. some even burned a few pin holes in them.

With Americans being 1/3 Sissys, 1/3 money hungry corporations, and 1/3rd poor angry bastards.... That's what happens.

Nowadays, we make the Chinese do everything for us, using their labor and land, and breaking their backs instead of ours, while we do more "important" jobs in life like counting all the money. That's a job as well isn't it?

Some people can call it being smart, some people can call it being greedy and lazy. Pick your poison on that one.

If you got paid 150k a year to laugh at a chinaman rolling around in a slag pit you probably wouldn't be b1tching right now, am I right? You could laugh about it over a nice steak dinner with your wife.

The problem here Beeter, is that you are a blue collar hack, and everybody stupider than you is still lives large somehow. If you had no morality or sense of good in your heart, you wouldn't have that pesky anger.
You could laugh your ass off and make it rain at the strip club all day, and see how many stupid hookers you can knock up in a week while your wife shops for Prada bags. You could have a side bet with your buddies or something.

Oh wait?
That's wrong?
Not the right and honorable thing to do?
Who told you that?
Your parents?
Your God?
Hahahaha The American dollar laughs at your bloodlines and pitiful god!!!!

Hope you enjoyed my informative story. It is both sad and true.
Old 12-29-2009, 03:14 AM   #7
firedowg

I agree!!!! It may not be right but if I own a large buisness why would I want to pay someone $30 a hour in the union when I can pay someone $1 a hour.
Old 12-29-2009, 03:39 AM   #8
uzl442

Title: Olds Junkie

I personally am sick and tired of all the cheap quality products that are all over just about every stores shelves. It seems that more and more companies are using crap raw materials in their products as well as the cheapest labor they can find. Well you get what you pay for, which means us as consumers have to suffer from company executives making their wallets fatter.

Moving jobs overseas may be good for the corporate bank account, but what good is saving money if no one has jobs to purchase the products that your selling?

America was built on manufacturing and developing goods. I don't know who decided that we needed to get away from that, but it was a HORRIBLE idea. Why eliminate jobs of people who are going to put the money they make back into the economy. American workers would purchase products and they would be paying taxes on those products, which would help the economy.

At some point us as consumers have to push for increased quality in the products that we purchase.

1959 Edsel Ranger 292 automatic, 2 door hardtop, Mist Green/ Seafoam Green Two Tone, should be road worthy this summer

Daily drivers
- 1988 Ford Festiva L, 71,000 miles - cost $100
- 1993 Cutlass Ciera S, 3.3 V6, 93,000 miles

Old 12-29-2009, 04:10 AM   #9
Beeterolds

Title: Armed and Hammered
Photos: 11  Users Photo Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Beeterolds Send a message via MSN to Beeterolds Send a message via Yahoo to Beeterolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-(Chicago) View Post
Ok, I'll explain this as simply as I can.

Producing everything under the sun over here, causes mass pollution. I remember my father putting blankets outside to air dry on the clothes line, and the cinders from the steel mill would be all over the blankets. some even burned a few pin holes in them.

With Americans being 1/3 Sissys, 1/3 money hungry corporations, and 1/3rd poor angry bastards.... That's what happens.

Nowadays, we make the Chinese do everything for us, using their labor and land, and breaking their backs instead of ours, while we do more "important" jobs in life like counting all the money. That's a job as well isn't it?

Some people can call it being smart, some people can call it being greedy and lazy. Pick your poison on that one.

If you got paid 150k a year to laugh at a chinaman rolling around in a slag pit you probably wouldn't be b1tching right now, am I right? You could laugh about it over a nice steak dinner with your wife.

The problem here Beeter, is that you are a blue collar hack, and everybody stupider than you is still lives large somehow. If you had no morality or sense of good in your heart, you wouldn't have that pesky anger.
You could laugh your ass off and make it rain at the strip club all day, and see how many stupid hookers you can knock up in a week while your wife shops for Prada bags. You could have a side bet with your buddies or something.

Oh wait?
That's wrong?
Not the right and honorable thing to do?
Who told you that?
Your parents?
Your God?
Hahahaha The American dollar laughs at your bloodlines and pitiful god!!!!

Hope you enjoyed my informative story. It is both sad and true.
Your absolutely right.. its not just me but anyone of us... If we were sitting pretty rolling around and pissing away franklins like it was nothing then no im sure i wouldnt be complaining.. But its just the point.. Ya got some ppl that made decent wages, made enough to make their house payment, now forced to work for much less because now mr Ho-chi runs his end mill for 1/4 of what he made.. Just because the business got greedy..

I totally agree on the pollution part.. My Old man told me the same stories about the steel mills in Cleveland.. But still its not just that type of manufacturing.. its everything else too..

Pretty soon the only jobs were going to have left in this country is retail thats it... Us working for McDonalds selling Chinese Dog burgers.. or Walmart selling chinese t-shirts and knockoff Coach purses..
GM 8.5 3.73
Old 12-29-2009, 05:00 AM   #10
GBodyFreak

Title: My Safety Word is Bowtie
Photos:Users Photo Gallery
Send a message via ICQ to GBodyFreak

Just a few points on this, I've been preaching it for years:

1. NAFTA sucks. We sold our labor to Mexico and got what in return? More of their illegals? More drug wars at the border?

2. There is absolutely nothing wrong with our labor or our products. The issue is that China is playing the game and we're just sitting it out. Ever wonder why you don't see many American products in other countries? There is a massive trade imbalance between us and everyone else. Couple that with an intense loyalty to domestic production that Americans are lacking and you have a recipe for economic disaster. Let's start slapping import taxes and tarriffs on everything that comes here equal to that of whatever that country is putting on our goods. You'd be amazed how quickly production comes back here.

3. America needs to be proud of America again. Do some research on that car you are thinking of buying, look at that material content. Start letting it be heard, we were the envy of the world with our manufacturing capabilities and I believe we can return to that.
*Disclaimer*Please be aware that anything this user says should be taken lightly, just like any information on the internet. Failure to do so will be met with mockery and humilitation. And my safety word is Bowtie.

Old 12-29-2009, 05:21 AM   #11
Anubis

Well said GFreak,

We have Clinton to thank for NAFTA. He was a real genius. My job involves quoting manufacturing for new automotive programs and we are continually challenged to use LCC's (low cost countries). It's interesting to see that even Mexico struggles to compete with China. I like your tax and tariff idea. Canada should be included as well.
Old 12-29-2009, 05:31 AM   #12
olds307 and 403

Photos: 10  Users Photo Gallery

Corporate greed is sickening. Look at Canada for example, we have had the raw materials for years, still do. We own almost no manufacturing, so we shipped it across the border, for cheap for years. American companies own a lot of our mining facilities too. I hear the main problem is our bankruptcy laws, a Canadian company gets in trouble and American companies buy ownership in that company, to bail it out. I saw this starting years ago, when I heard numerous manufacturing companies shutting their doors and moving over seas. Unions aren't blameless but corporate greed is what drove them to form in the first place. We soon won't be the market goods are made for, pretty scary.
1988 CSC, Ported #6, 9.5 to 1 Olds 350, 2004R, 3.42 open for now.....
1994 c***y 4x4 Olds 350/454 TBI, rebuilt 4L60E, 3.73 gov lock
2010 Challenger SE, Stone White, leather, 18" wheels
2000 Dodge Dakota Sport Club Cab 4x4 AEM filter,air box mod, Dynomax muffler, Accel coil,3.9 v6, auto, 3.92 no slip
Old 12-29-2009, 05:55 AM   #13
GBodyFreak

It's easy to blame companies and "evil corporations" for this mess but in reality, could you honestly say you wouldn't do the same? If you're making coffee mugs and spending 3 cents per unit to manufacture them and profiting $3 per unit, and your competition across town is having them shipped from overseas where they are made for 1 cent and profiting at $3 undercutting you, wouldn't you try to compete? Much of the blame lays at the feet of the American people, we are always looking for the best deal and just say "awww, how sad" when another neighbor gets laid off, never giving thought to why that may have happened.

Let's stop worrying about if other countries like us or not, we didn't become an industrial power house by letting the rest of the world walk all over us and abuse our trade laws. If someone insists on buying something foreign made, by all means they should be the ones paying for it, not the guy down the street that's losing his job.
*Disclaimer*Please be aware that anything this user says should be taken lightly, just like any information on the internet. Failure to do so will be met with mockery and humilitation. And my safety word is Bowtie.

Old 12-29-2009, 07:56 AM   #14
outsider_27

Send a message via Yahoo to outsider_27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
Well said GFreak,

We have Clinton to thank for NAFTA. He was a real genius. My job involves quoting manufacturing for new automotive programs and we are continually challenged to use LCC's (low cost countries). It's interesting to see that even Mexico struggles to compete with China. I like your tax and tariff idea. Canada should be included as well.
For what it's worth, George Bush SR. started the whole NAFTA deal. Clinton didnt have to go through with it though.

My lug nuts have more torque than your ricer!
http://www.cardomain.com/id/outsider_27

feedback thread
http://www.oldspower.com/vb/showthread.php?t=42444
Old 12-29-2009, 08:02 AM   #15
GBodyFreak

I really could care less who started the whole thing, the problem is that it was started and it put us at a definite manufacturing and trade disadvantage. It was just another milestone in the "We want to buy your love" policy this country has been engaged in for decades. America needs to get back to work.

Old 12-29-2009, 08:12 AM   #16
DukeDKT442

Title: The Eve of Resurrection
Photos: 14  Users Photo Gallery
Send a message via AIM to DukeDKT442 Send a message via Yahoo to DukeDKT442

Overseas car companies seem to have no problem manufacturing here, while "domestic" car companies do. What's the issue?

Oh, right, the Unions had a large hand in pricing out American labor.

"Made in the USA" doesn't really mean anything anymore anyway to anyone but the ethnocentrists... for a lot of those things still made here, the quality/materials have deteriorated in order to pay the manufacturing costs and keep the price palatable to the consumer.

1986 Olds 442
1984 GMC S-15 sport
2008 BMW X3

Remember, remember the 5th of November.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:07 AM   #17
80Rocket

fdfaf

Last edited by 80Rocket : 12-29-2009 at 11:12 AM. Reason: offensive, also need to go back to econ 101
Old 12-29-2009, 09:21 AM   #18
GBodyFreak

I can really say I'm impressed with this board. A fairly general rant takes a bit of a controversial/ political turn and everything still stays amazingly civil. You would be hard pressed to find that on many other forums. My complete plan for economic prosperity:

1. The balanced trade thing discussed earlier
2. Immediate 5% reduction in capital gains taxes to get companies investing again and hopefully make it a little more inviting for individuals to try it too. I've read many members have issues with putting a little away and this would go a long way to helping them get a start in a cushion. Make that money work for you!
3. Trim government spending 3% anually across the board. Military, social expenditures, foreign aid, everything.
4. Start reducing overseas defense interests. Germany and Japan have probably learned their lesson after 60 years, they can fend for themselves.

There were some more, but I don't recall what they were.

Old 12-29-2009, 09:47 AM   #19
mkube396

Title: critical mass
Send a message via AIM to mkube396

///
3:42 Posi GTA rims
Upcoming 700R4 swap
8.61 1/8 mile on street tires

Last edited by mkube396 : 12-29-2009 at 02:02 PM. Reason: offensive material
Old 12-29-2009, 09:56 AM   #20
DrRansom442

call me strange but I've often ponderred the whole "buy American" arguements on the internet .... please tell me where to buy an American made PC!
81 Cutlass Calais 260/350 (purchased Nov 04)
never thought I'd say "I miss the power of a 307"
fixed that with an Olds 350/200-4r
Old 12-29-2009, 10:38 AM   #21
69hurstolds

Title: Soylent Green Processing Facility Supervisor
Photos: 33  Users Photo Gallery

Let's not turn this political or stuff will get deleted. You need to go back and look at your Economics 101 book again about what inflation really is. It's pretty much the price rise of anything but money itself. Inlfation's not only caused by the banks. Debt alone does not cause inflation. But printing more money to cover those debts dilutes the purchasing power of the dollar. PPI and CPI is commonly used to measure inflation, but not the only means. Banks respond to the Fed's reaction to economic indicators by raising interest rates to where they think inflation will take a bite out of future dollars being paid back. Unfortunately, there's no one real source to determine it. Deflation is pretty much the opposite effect, causing unemployment and lower demand for goods. If people don't mess with it too much, the invisible hand will fix itself. Too much monkeying with it can actually disrupt the natural tendencies of an economic stabilization. Kinda like changing 4 carburetor settings at once trying to fix a stumble and still getting a stumble. Now you don't know WHAT is going on now and it only delays fixing the issues.

Bargaining agreements with arbitrary raises at certain hurdle points like time in service, raw material costs because of supply and demand, corporate policies, greed, people asking for raises, Congress upping the minimum wage (rasing the poverty line is all this does in the long run), demand level for currency, etc. ALL portray a part in inflation. It's a domino effect. Sometimes it takes a while for the consumer to feel it, and feel it they will.

If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude. Don't complain.

Old 12-29-2009, 11:10 AM   #22
80Rocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69hurstolds View Post
Let's not turn this political or stuff will get deleted.

Don't worry about deleting the thread. Please delete my oldspower account. To say "let's not turn this political" about a f'in thread about stuff coming from China is laughable. This board with its policies are laughable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69hurstolds View Post
You need to go back and look at your Economics 101 book again about what inflation really is. It's pretty much the price rise of anything but money itself. Inlfation's not only caused by the banks. Debt alone does not cause inflation. But printing more money to cover those debts dilutes the purchasing power of the dollar. PPI and CPI is commonly used to measure inflation, but not the only means. Banks respond to the Fed's reaction to economic indicators by raising interest rates to where they think inflation will take a bite out of future dollars being paid back. Unfortunately, there's no one real source to determine it. Deflation is pretty much the opposite effect, causing unemployment and lower demand for goods. If people don't mess with it too much, the invisible hand will fix itself. Too much monkeying with it can actually disrupt the natural tendencies of an economic stabilization. Kinda like changing 4 carburetor settings at once trying to fix a stumble and still getting a stumble. Now you don't know WHAT is going on now and it only delays fixing the issues.

Bargaining agreements with arbitrary raises at certain hurdle points like time in service, raw material costs because of supply and demand, corporate policies, greed, people asking for raises, Congress upping the minimum wage (rasing the poverty line is all this does in the long run), demand level for currency, etc. ALL portray a part in inflation. It's a domino effect. Sometimes it takes a while for the consumer to feel it, and feel it they will.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bfgr...eature=related
Old 12-29-2009, 11:18 AM   #23
69hurstolds

Title: Soylent Green Processing Facility Supervisor
Photos: 33  Users Photo Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80Rocket View Post
Don't worry about deleting the thread. Please delete my oldspower account.
As you wish. When you get your own forum, you can do with as you see fit.

If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude. Don't complain.

Old 12-29-2009, 11:19 AM   #24
DrRansom442

well that was pretty quick
81 Cutlass Calais 260/350 (purchased Nov 04)
never thought I'd say "I miss the power of a 307"
fixed that with an Olds 350/200-4r
Old 12-29-2009, 11:54 AM   #25
GBodyFreak

So which of the little yellow guys in your avatar was he?

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: