OldsPower.com  

Go Back   OldsPower.com > Discussion > Body/Interior/Chassis Repair
Register Forums Gallery Support Us! FAQ Mark Forums Read

Help Support OldsPower.com

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 07-15-2009, 08:44 PM   #1
street stalker

Default power door locks and relay

my car didn't come with power locks, but i want to change that now. i'm taking the factory ones out of a cutlass at the junkyard. but my question is do i really have to take the door lock relay as well? i only want the power door lock motors so i can use them with a keyless entry system that i will buy later. so i hoping those kits come with their own relay assemblys. what do you all think?
Old 07-15-2009, 09:40 PM   #2
69hurstolds

Title: Soylent Green Processing Facility Supervisor
Photos: 33  Users Photo Gallery
Default Re: power door locks and relay

If you're using a GM keyless entry system kit, no, they do not have their own relays.

If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude. Don't complain.

Old 07-16-2009, 03:56 AM   #3
matt69cutlass

Title: I Have an Olds Life

You need the relay. If i remember correctly the relay is what reverses polatity so the door lock accuator works correctly. In other words, apply power and ground the door lock accuator goes one way, reverse polarity the accuator goes the other way. Just use the factory relay and use the keyless entry to trigger that.

06 2500 4X4 Mega Cab 5.9 Cummins daily driver love everything about it

Turbo lag= that brief moment in time your competition thinks he is winning!

I tell my wife if I didn't do the car thing Id take up drinking! Everyone has to have a hobby!

My vehicles are assembled with wrenches.....not chopsticks!
Old 07-16-2009, 07:28 AM   #4
street stalker

too easy, thanks guys.
Old 07-18-2009, 09:13 AM   #5
street stalker

okay i got the power door locks and relay from the junkyard. i was even able to pick up some 6x9 speaker adapters plus a pair of after market 3.5 speakers. i have pics that i will try to post. i only paid $25 dollars. my wife said she knew i got a good deal because when i got home i was smiling ear to ear.

Last edited by street stalker : 07-18-2009 at 10:23 AM. Reason: added a link
Old 07-18-2009, 12:06 PM   #6
Eightupman

Title: Parts Haulin Mule
Photos:Users Photo Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by street stalker View Post
okay i got the power door locks and relay from the junkyard. i was even able to pick up some 6x9 speaker adapters plus a pair of after market 3.5 speakers. i have pics that i will try to post. i only paid $25 dollars. my wife said she knew i got a good deal because when i got home i was smiling ear to ear.
Cool now all you REALLY need is the late 80's early 90's Cavalier remote sensor box and a generic GM key fob that you can program yourself. I can see the picture of the box you need in my head, but can't tell you what other forum I saw it on. Search google for "GM remote lock in a G body" I THINK that is how I found it on some cavalier or sunbird forum..

John

www.facebook.com/darkroomimages.com
Old 07-18-2009, 12:09 PM   #7
one442

Title: I Have an Olds Life

Great score the speaker adapters alone cost more than that new, and these look mint.

I want to go in this direction with my speakers but a previous owner? or whomever butchered the rear side panels and installed 6 inch speakers. Guessing I will just leave it that way or have a massive hole in each panel to contend with.

1987 442 STOCK 307 - 15.179 @ 88.58 mph

7A head VIN 9 KZF 200-4R with a 8.5 3.73 air delete. Open/no air filter. 2 1/4" true dual Flowmasters with crossover. Alloy, mags, drums, and rad, 3560 race weight. Timing 22*, 23.8 inch diameter rear tires (4.07). Hypertech S R Chip. Mobile 1

http://one442.blogspot.com/

Past rides
1967 Cutlass 2dr 330, 1972 98 455, 1966 442 a2 400, 1971 Eldo 500

Last edited by one442 : 07-19-2009 at 11:06 AM.
Old 07-18-2009, 04:10 PM   #8
street stalker

i never thought to just grab an used keyless entry from the junkyard. guess it couldn't hurt. trial and error. i did run across the old style car phone in a oldsmobile 98 that i wanted just to say i have one(rather it really worked or not). that olds 98 had 'OLDSMOBILE' embroided on the blue leather seats. i wanted that too but i don't think it holds the cutlass look that i like more.
Old 07-18-2009, 04:12 PM   #9
street stalker

just to be sure i grabbed all the power lock components, there's only 1 relay in that system correct?

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: