OldsPower.com  

Go Back   OldsPower.com > Discussion > The Lounge
Register Forums Gallery Support Us! FAQ Mark Forums Read

Help Support OldsPower.com

Old 11-23-2008, 09:32 AM   #1
CUTTY

Title: Olds Freak
Default heater core ?

do i need to put coolant in the heater core before installing still not to sure how you take the cover off to get to the heater core
Old 11-23-2008, 09:43 AM   #2
philthy

Default Re: heater core ?

No, as long as the coolant lines are attached, and the heater valve open (may either be cable operated, or vacuum- located on rear of engine usually) it should be fine.
Old 11-23-2008, 10:28 AM   #3
Eightupman

Title: Parts Haulin Mule
Photos:Users Photo Gallery

Just remember that you may have to "burp" the system. In other words there is a chance that air could be trapped in the system. You would see this most likely with a spike in temperature shortly after startup.

Leave the rad cap on and let it get warm, turn the blower OFF for the time being. Then when she gets warm using a towel crack the rad cap to allow the air/steam to escape IF there is any.

Then leave it off for a little bit watching it carefully until the coolant begins to overflow... then cap it and drive it. Turn the heater on and see if she puts out (pun intended)

John

www.facebook.com/darkroomimages.com
Old 11-23-2008, 10:42 AM   #4
joe_padavano

Title: I Have an Olds Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eightupman View Post
Just remember that you may have to "burp" the system. In other words there is a chance that air could be trapped in the system. You would see this most likely with a spike in temperature shortly after startup.

Leave the rad cap on and let it get warm, turn the blower OFF for the time being. Then when she gets warm using a towel crack the rad cap to allow the air/steam to escape IF there is any.

Then leave it off for a little bit watching it carefully until the coolant begins to overflow... then cap it and drive it. Turn the heater on and see if she puts out (pun intended)

John
Being lazy, I use a much less labor intensive approach. If you have the factory overflow tank in place, simply be sure it is full. Run the car until warm then park on an incline with the nose up. Let it cool down. The valve in the radiator cap will suck coolant from the overflow tank back into the radiator automatically as the engine cools. Check the level in the overflow tank and top off if needed. This may require several heat/cool cycles to completely fill, but it's all automatic. Also, there's no need to open a hot radiator and risk burns.

62 F-85 Deluxe wagon (the NV desert car)
62 F-85 Deluxe wagon (the San Jose, CA car)
64 Jetstar 88 Conv
66 442 L-69 Conv
68 W-30
69 H/O
69 442
70 W-30
72 442
84 Custom Cruiser
86 Caprice wagon (w/307 Olds)
Old 11-23-2008, 10:52 AM   #5
Eightupman

Title: Parts Haulin Mule

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_padavano View Post
Being lazy, I use a much less labor intensive approach. If you have the factory overflow tank in place, simply be sure it is full. Run the car until warm then park on an incline with the nose up. Let it cool down. The valve in the radiator cap will suck coolant from the overflow tank back into the radiator automatically as the engine cools. Check the level in the overflow tank and top off if needed. This may require several heat/cool cycles to completely fill, but it's all automatic. Also, there's no need to open a hot radiator and risk burns.
I would not call it LAZY joe... I'd call it "Seasoned" LOL

John

www.facebook.com/darkroomimages.com
Old 11-23-2008, 02:37 PM   #6
CUTTY

Title: Olds Freak

someone show me what hose is a vaccum hose for heater just want to make sure that's there

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: