OldsPower.com  

Go Back   OldsPower.com > Discussion > The Lounge
Register Forums Gallery Support Us! FAQ Mark Forums Read

Help Support OldsPower.com

Old 11-02-2008, 05:06 PM   #1
mine

Default 84 olds w/ sbc 400

Okay guys bare with me...
Justgot time to start messin around with my olds. For those that dont remember. I have an 84 olds cutlass supreme. It replace the old tired 307 with a rebuilt sbc 400/th350. When I purchased this vehicle I knew nothing about. One of the first things I noticed, is that the steering coloumn has been punched. I tried starting the vehicle but it just would fire.
Now that the 400 is in its weird because it turns over fires up and turns right back off immediately. Doesnt sputter as if it would be a gas issue. It shuts off like the ignition system has been killed. I started with the coil, (checked out good) then on to the control module (also checked out good). The only time that car will continuosly is when I turn the key to engage the starter to the flywheel. As soon as I let go of the tumbler the car kills immediately. I have come to the realization that its probably something electrical, like my steering coloumn. I have also gone from a coloumn shift to a B & M floor shifter. I chose not to use the neutral switch because I wont be driving the car on a everyday basis. I guess Im wondering if I should replace th damaged coloumn with the exact same one as the original, or can I pull a steering coloumn from a factory floor shifted car? Also the computer mounted behind the passenger kick panel has been removed, that would screw with my ignition system would it? Any suggestions or help would be useful! Thanks guys...
Old 11-02-2008, 06:31 PM   #2
prfct80ctlss

Title: I Have an Olds Life
Default Re: 84 olds w/ sbc 400

look another MN guy...unfortunatly I know nothing about Chevies.
Old 11-02-2008, 07:11 PM   #3
IIIQuaZIII

Title: Master of Disaster
Photos: 12  Users Photo Gallery
Send a message via AIM to IIIQuaZIII Send a message via Yahoo to IIIQuaZIII

Sounds self explanatory. Somethings FUBAR in your column. What do you mean column is "punched"? If you mean it's been broken into/stolen, replace it.... Something definitely sounds messed up in there. If it's visibly busted, you'll probably want to anyways....so it doesn't get re-stolen.

"Warning: Not to be used as a toy!" -The mark of all great toys.

iiiquaziii@yahoo.com, iiiquaziii on AIM/iiiquaziii on Yahoo messenger and gmail and gtalk. http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.p...00001623773081 in facebook.

Last edited by IIIQuaZIII : 11-02-2008 at 07:28 PM.
Old 11-02-2008, 07:26 PM   #4
svnt442

Title: Oldsmobile "Numbskull"
Photos:Users Photo Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to svnt442

My thought is did you hook up the wires on the solenoid correctly? That's what it sounds like to me. I'd start there. If that checks out then move on to the ignition switch.

Just because it was punched doesn't mean it won't run.

The actual switch is buried down in the column I believe.

75 Cutlass S 260 - Junked
76 Cutlass Salon - Wrecked
75 Cutlass - parts car
80 Cutlass Supreme - Sold
70 Cutlass S Post - stripped & junked
72 Cutlass Supreme - stripped & junked
70 442 SOLD..and REPURCHASED!..wrecked
Old 11-03-2008, 08:05 AM   #5
mine

thanks guys. I will check and replace the things you guys suggested. When I say the column has been punched I mean it has been stolen, by break through the plastic on the side of the steering column.
Old 11-03-2008, 10:02 AM   #6
70W-32

The "Run" wire from your ignition switch is either not connected, or has no power.

Possibilities:
Broken or unplugged wire
Wire not connected to its source or destination
Damaged or mis adjusted ignition switch

Find a scematic of the ingnition switch curcuits, and trace the problem. This is the best and cheapest route. Diagnos the problem. Most Chiltons dont have wiring diagrams, Maybe a Haynes manual, or best is a Factory Service manual.

Yes you can install a steering column from a floor shift car into your car. The Service manual will have detailed directions on removing and installing a steering column.

Diagnos the current problem before swapping the column, just so you know the issue is solved.

OLDSMOBILE, the Original American Car
........ 1897-2004

Quote:
Just throw some parts at it, you might get lucky and fix it.
Old 11-03-2008, 11:10 AM   #7
Vern

Title: Oldsmohaulic

Its the Olds its refuseing the motor, hack, hack, spit it out spit it out!
87 Olds 442, 10-1 509ci Cadillac, 800 Q-jet, Alum intake, Street portd heads, 230@50 528 lift cam, Headrs, 200-4r, 2800 stal lockup convrtr, Electric fans & in-tank fuel pump, AC, Factory oil tach temp gauges wrk, Fresh air Hurst hood & rear spoiler, 36mm hollow sway bar, 17mpg hwySold

87 Buick Grand National, 231ci Buick V6, TE-60 turbo, Stretch intrcooler, 42.5lb injectrs, 3" dwnpipe, 3000 stall lockup convrter, Meth/water injection, 22mpg, original ownr Both 2 run 11.8 113+ on pumpgas
Old 12-19-2008, 11:55 PM   #8
mine

okay. Put a new steering column in. still havn the same problems. any ideas?
Old 12-19-2008, 11:59 PM   #9
dan2286

Does the radio, wipers, heater, stuff like that work when it is in the run position?

'84 Cutlass
Old 12-20-2008, 02:20 AM   #10
mine

yep
Old 12-20-2008, 05:52 AM   #11
Eightupman

Title: Parts Haulin Mule

Quote:
Originally Posted by mine View Post
Okay guys bare with me...
Justgot time to start messin around with my olds. For those that dont remember. I have an 84 olds cutlass supreme. It replace the old tired 307 with a rebuilt sbc 400/th350. When I purchased this vehicle I knew nothing about. One of the first things I noticed, is that the steering coloumn has been punched. I tried starting the vehicle but it just would fire.
Now that the 400 is in its weird because it turns over fires up and turns right back off immediately. Doesnt sputter as if it would be a gas issue. It shuts off like the ignition system has been killed. I started with the coil, (checked out good) then on to the control module (also checked out good). The only time that car will continuosly is when I turn the key to engage the starter to the flywheel. As soon as I let go of the tumbler the car kills immediately. I have come to the realization that its probably something electrical, like my steering coloumn. I have also gone from a coloumn shift to a B & M floor shifter. I chose not to use the neutral switch because I wont be driving the car on a everyday basis. I guess Im wondering if I should replace th damaged coloumn with the exact same one as the original, or can I pull a steering coloumn from a factory floor shifted car? Also the computer mounted behind the passenger kick panel has been removed, that would screw with my ignition system would it? Any suggestions or help would be useful! Thanks guys...

Did you change the ignition module? Does it pop through the carb when it does run?

John

www.facebook.com/darkroomimages.com
Old 12-20-2008, 09:19 AM   #12
philthy

What are you using for a power supply to the distributor? It sort of sound slike you're using the start switch supply coming from the starter solenoid. That would supply 12V when starting, but as soon as you release the key, power is cut from the distributor. Being that the engine was swapped, something like that can easily happen. Check the power supply to the dist. cap and see if the power to it is constant when just in "Run" position (key).

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: