OldsPower.com  

Go Back   OldsPower.com > Discussion > RWD Olds Tech
Register Forums Gallery Support Us! FAQ Mark Forums Read

Help Support OldsPower.com

Old 07-05-2002, 11:44 PM   #1
derricknotorious

Title: Olds Freak
Default 330 rocket buildup

what do i need to make this motor pretty fast i have a performer intake. it looks just like a 350 rocket with a different balancer.

Old 07-06-2002, 03:44 PM   #2
FLiNT

you can build it just like you would a 350. Make sure you know what cam to order(39 degree or 45 degree). Some blocks can be bored out to use 350 pistons or 400 pistons. Iv'e heard that the #4 heads are worth doing the same upgrades as 5,6,7 heads. To use 350 heads you may need to drill out the pushrod holes, depending on cam bank angle.

Old 07-06-2002, 04:10 PM   #3
71CutlassConvertible

Title: Olds Gearhead
Photos:Users Photo Gallery

You must be talking about the early 400 engine with 4.000" bore and not the late 400 with 3.875" bore since the 330 has a 3.9375" bore. I can tell you from personal experience that pistons for the early 400 are almost impossible to find. The only source I have discovered (aside from custom pistons-$$$) is Egge Machine Co., and their cast pistons sell for $400 a set. May as well get the correct 330 pistons if going that route, but I have heard before of using standard bore 350 pistons. Just make sure to get the block checked to make sure it can handle that amount of overbore. From what I have heard, the TRW forged pistons are available again, so that's a viable option.

Old 07-06-2002, 06:35 PM   #4
Steve Russell

Actually the 330 can go as far as the 350 in overbore. You could go with .030 or .060 350 pistons or .068 over(4.125 bore) and use a std. 425 piston. I just did a 350 .068 over (362 inches). If you can find them TRW(speedpro) has(had?) a nice forged std. bore flat top for the 425. I'm not sure if they are still making them after all the ups and downs and corporate crap they've been going through. I used the same piston, I got mine from mondello before I knew it was a TRW part number. You might try jegs or summit or maybe some local speedshops that might have some on the shelf. I paid $340 to mondello for them, should be around $280 from other sources.

Last edited by Steve Russell : 07-06-2002 at 06:38 PM.

Old 07-07-2002, 08:26 AM   #5
FAST OLDS

You could go to SBC pistons and rods. There is guy that lives near me who use to build 330's for stock cars and he always converted them to chevy pistons and rods.

Old 07-07-2002, 12:45 PM   #6
big_body_98

i think thats a miss conception on the most part. using sbc pfor what you are looknig for, a 300 block with corrctly preped rods and crank and oiling should be anle to take you into the low 11s easily with some god head work. its all in how you build it, personialy i think the sbc idea is a waste of time unless you are going for a all out race motor. which is a lot of money

Old 07-07-2002, 08:35 PM   #7
FAST OLDS

He wanted to how make it faster and I was just making a suggestion. Don't use SBC parts if you don't the idea, there only lighter and less expensive than Olds parts.

Old 07-08-2002, 08:39 AM   #8
scottb

Title: I Have an Olds Life

Just to be clear, you would need to have the rod journals on the crank widened and turned down to 2.1 inches to use the Chevy con rods, they are not a direct replacement part.

Old 07-08-2002, 06:42 PM   #9
Treefiddy

why not use sbc pistons and rods when all the manufacturers make it spendy to drive non mainstream makes. Its just called innovating. You can get any style piston you want in any compression ratio you want for an sbc. Plus after this all future rebuilds will be cheaper.

Old 07-08-2002, 07:00 PM   #10
71CutlassConvertible

Title: Olds Gearhead

You can get any style piston you want in any compression ratio you want for an sbo as well, it just costs a bit more, and you KNOW it will fit properly.

Old 07-08-2002, 10:01 PM   #11
big_body_98

chevy pistons are worless in a olds engine unless you are doing a completely cutom build. Your stock rods are stronger than you think, and unles you plan on breaking into the lower 10s, i wouldnt worrie about. Now remember, this is all with proper prep, the **** will last for ever with the proper prep. For a 330, custom pistons are just about the only choice. The only way to really go fast is to use a light pistons, and of course, we all know thats not cheap

Old 07-08-2002, 10:37 PM   #12
425 Racer

Title: I Have an Olds Life

Be careful about putting SBC rods and pistons in an Olds. Like Scott said the journals have to be widened and turned down. Then you have to be concerned with rod length and pin heigth on the pistons. Remember the strokes are different along with the deck heigths. If you plan on using a wild cam, the valve reliefs are all wrong. If you decide to try a SBC domed piston, well all I can say is destruction! The chambers are nowhere near similar. My custom domed pistons don't look anything like a Chebby. Trust me I went thru all this putting SBC rods and pistons into my 380 this last winter. Alot of reaserch went into the project.
Nick

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: