OldsPower.com  

Go Back   OldsPower.com > Discussion > Engine/Transmission/Driveability
Register Forums Gallery Support Us! FAQ Mark Forums Read

Help Support OldsPower.com

Old 05-22-2008, 08:48 PM   #1
83Toro

Default TH325-4L upgrades?

I have had an 83 Toronado since '04 (my first car). I'll never get rid of it, but I'd like to make it a little faster. I have a '76 455 that I would like to rebuild and put into the Toronado, but I can't find any performance parts for the transmission. I've been told that it will take a stock 455, but I'd like to hop it up a bit (if the car could get into the mid/low 14's I'd be happy). Anyone have any ideas?

I've also toyed with the idea of swapping out a TH425 from an older, 455 powered Toro, but I can't seem to find anything about whether or not it will fit.

Last edited by 83Toro : 05-22-2008 at 09:30 PM.
Old 05-23-2008, 03:27 PM   #2
kartmaster

Title: Oldsmohaulic
Photos: 15  Users Photo Gallery
Send a message via AIM to kartmaster Send a message via MSN to kartmaster Send a message via Yahoo to kartmaster

What are your intentions with the car? You want to hot rod around town and maybe take some Honda's at a stoplight or two? Or you're wanting something you can take to the strip and lay down some times?

You can get a shift kit for these trans' that I think would hold up pretty darn well to a stock 455 if you're looking for a cruiser with an occasional surprise. If you're going to be regularly hammering on it though, a shift kit will only prolong eventual failure.

If you're looking to rebuild the 455 hotter than stock you're best taking it to a competent trans person. I know they share a lot of mechanical mechanical similarities to the RWD trans, but these rotate in the opposite direction. I wouldn't know if that rules out performance parts that could be used in a regular THM Transmission. Sorry.

Worst thing you have going for you is choice of final drive ratios. 2.73 is the best I've ever seen, but I've heard 3.08's can be had out of a Turbo Riviera. I can't personally verify that though. Unfortunately with such tall gearing it's going to put that much more stress on the drivetrain and increasing the chance of breakage.

These cars were just never intended to be performance platforms. And I think without deep pockets, it's going to be difficult to put something together that will handle real power and be reliable.

1985 Toronado Caliente - 1987 Cutlass Salon
Old 05-23-2008, 03:40 PM   #3
84C10

I think the 1984 riviera could be had with the slightly better ratio, but the 1985 definately could not. I owned two of them at different points and the trans in there was no better than what would be in your toro
Old 05-23-2008, 08:07 PM   #4
83Toro

"You want to hot rod around town and maybe take some Honda's at a stoplight or two? "

That pretty much says it, but the car should still be daily drivable to an extent. If I ever get those deep pockets I've been dreaming of, I'd love to make it a crazy pro-street car, but for now the Toro is my backup car/project (and unfortunately, my daily car has been breaking down alot lately).

The motor I was planning wont be a beast or anything, but I would like to put an intake, cam, and some better stock heads on it (unless someone makes aftermarket iron heads for it). This will be my first motor, and it just seems fitting that it goes into my first car (and I love the thought of stomping on some rice-bombs in the Boatmobile. Leather seats and all the 80's goodies).

Does anyone know of a good transmission guy in the Canton, Ohio area that I could contact?

Last edited by 83Toro : 05-23-2008 at 11:56 PM.
Old 05-30-2008, 10:28 PM   #5
83Toro

Well, I've found someone on another forum who has swapped out his 350 diesel for a stock 70's Toronado 455 in an 81 Eldorado. He claims to have simply rebuilt his TH325 with a shift kit and cooler and has been driving it for 5 years. I will keep this project in the works (unless I find something that simply screams "put a BBO in me!") as I get the cash. I'll keep you guys updated. I'd really like a 4 speed manual, but the thought of the Boatmobile eating up some ricers is just too much to pass up.
Old 05-31-2008, 07:25 AM   #6
kartmaster

Title: Oldsmohaulic
Photos: 15  Users Photo Gallery
Send a message via AIM to kartmaster Send a message via MSN to kartmaster Send a message via Yahoo to kartmaster

Cool. I'd be interested in your results.

There's an old member on here that put a 455 in a 79 Toronado, but he hasn't been around for a looong time. "455toro" or "Toro455" was his screen name.

Good luck!

1985 Toronado Caliente - 1987 Cutlass Salon
Old 06-27-2008, 10:52 AM   #7
83Toronado

Title: Proud Olds Owner
Photos:Users Photo Gallery

From what I understand about the TH-325-4L, it's a FWD TH-350. IF that's the case, there should be all sorts of stuff you can do it. I'm personally hoping to do some stuff with mine, but nothing with as much torque as a 455. If nothing else, you might be able go with the TH-425, which would definitely handle a 455 but you'll lose overdrive.

These aren't the best platform for hot rodding, definitely not as good as G-bodies, but I've seen people do a lot with as heavy or heavier platforms. The FWD limits you in some ways though.
Old 06-27-2008, 10:25 PM   #8
83Toro

Do you know if the 425 will bolt up to the original 325-4l mounts? I'm not concerned with economy, just the ability to take the torque.
Old 06-28-2008, 01:32 PM   #9
83Toronado

I would think so, but I'm not sure.

Unfortunately, I think that information will be mighty hard to come by. I can hardly ever find information on e-body cars like ours online. In fact, I'd like to start a forum for them.
Old 06-29-2008, 06:32 AM   #10
John Kelsey

Hi
I can tell you two things. First the 325 series transmissions are not based on the original 350's but on the 200's. It is not a very strong transmission. Also there is a guy on the Toronado list Named Bruce Roe who has put a 455 and a thm425 in a Gen 2. That's the place to go for infomation. (thelist@toronado.net)
By the way nothing fits fits it's all custom installation
good luck
John Kelsey
Dayton Ohio
TOA#009
Old 07-01-2008, 04:34 AM   #11
83Toronado

If it's based on the 200, I would guess the 200-R4. There are some people who can build those fairly stoutly. Don't know if they'd do a 325 though.
Old 07-13-2008, 03:47 PM   #12
mark1950m

Title: Olds in the Blood

[quote=I can hardly ever find information on e-body cars like ours online. In fact, I'd like to start a forum for them.[/QUOTE]

I agree. not only for mech problems but for ALL of our problems. In fact, I wish we had a website for all us 79-85 E-body owners.

'82 Riviera with a tired 307 - my Astroroof car that I'm starting to restore with my:
'80 Riviera with a sweet 350 - my $25 parts car.
'94 Cavalier station wagon, my daily drive and great parts hauler.

Last edited by mark1950m : 07-13-2008 at 07:09 PM.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: