OldsPower.com  

Go Back   OldsPower.com > Discussion > Body/Interior/Chassis Repair
Register Forums Gallery Support Us! FAQ Mark Forums Read

Help Support OldsPower.com

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 11-02-2005, 08:41 PM   #1
WV_OldsNut

Default Moulding Clips

I have been looking for a supplier of the retaining clips for the chrome lower fender moulding on my 87 Cutlass Supreme Brougham. I havent been able to find any place that carries them. Is anyone aware of a supplier for them?
I also need to find a supplier of the clips for the interior upper winshield trim.
Old 11-03-2005, 09:39 PM   #2
gp02a0083

Title: Olds Junkie
Photos:Users Photo Gallery
Send a message via AIM to gp02a0083

i have some clips at home that are from GM, is it the small trim or the large chrome trim? as far as the top mouldings, i tried searching through my bodyshop 2 years ago for the vynal trim and window moulding, clips and they said they werent available
Old 11-03-2005, 11:14 PM   #3
WV_OldsNut

The clips I need are the large plastic ones on the bottom of the fender in front of the wheel. Like most Cutlass Supreme Broughams its the passenger side ones that failed. If you do have some to sell, PM me and we can work it out.
I guess I will have to go junkyard hunting to for the windsheild clips........ any tips on removing them?
Old 11-04-2005, 03:39 AM   #4
Chef 442

Title: Registered User

Suggest a good local body shop. The shop that did my car has a guy/company that comes around once a month and supplies his cabinet with needed parts. I was surprised that my windshield/rear window chrome molding clips were still available when everyone else said, to bad. These shops are not easily going to give up their source but if your doing some business with them they may lighten up.

1983 H/O-Restored, rebuilt-stock 307
1986 442 Hurst Aero Commemorative Kit, '69 350
"Vista Cruiser - you could literally cruise the Vista" - Red / 70's Show
Old 11-04-2005, 08:21 AM   #5
gp02a0083

true as chef said some places wont give up info, however i tried ordering mine direct from GM ( there was a big GM dealer down the street from my body shop) ad all i could get were the lower moulding clips , but they sent me the wrong ones
Old 11-04-2005, 08:28 AM   #6
Buchu

Title: Olds Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef 442
Suggest a good local body shop. The shop that did my car has a guy/company that comes around once a month and supplies his cabinet with needed parts. I was surprised that my windshield/rear window chrome molding clips were still available when everyone else said, to bad. These shops are not easily going to give up their source but if your doing some business with them they may lighten up.
Beileve it or not, you can still get all the clips from GM. Let me know which ones you need and I can get you the part numbers.

I recently had my 84 cutlass painted. I removed all the chrome myself and put it back on after it was finished. I replaced all the chrome clips with new ones...I got them all from GM.
Old 11-04-2005, 02:13 PM   #7
Chef 442

Title: Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buchu
Beileve it or not, you can still get all the clips from GM. Let me know which ones you need and I can get you the part numbers.

I recently had my 84 cutlass painted. I removed all the chrome myself and put it back on after it was finished. I replaced all the chrome clips with new ones...I got them all from GM.
I don't doubt it for a moment, problem I have is the GM dealers around here (Knoxville TN) won't give me the time of day to do a national search. They could care less. Luckily I have an ols source in Florida who works the system to find this stuff. I try to only bother him for the "must have" items.

1983 H/O-Restored, rebuilt-stock 307
1986 442 Hurst Aero Commemorative Kit, '69 350
"Vista Cruiser - you could literally cruise the Vista" - Red / 70's Show
Old 11-05-2005, 11:35 PM   #8
gp02a0083

i agree with chef , even body shops calling in the orders are hard pressed to find a dealer with those clips , the clips si have alone took me about 2 weeks to track down ( smaller type clips for the chrome bottom moulding, end molding peices to "bolt" the molding to the door, and a bunch of other clips)
Old 11-06-2005, 12:51 PM   #9
WV_OldsNut

I took a look at the broken clips that are still on the car, they have #22510422 on them.
Old 11-26-2005, 07:10 PM   #10
paart

Anyone have any luck finding these? I need them also. I'm thinking of using the common, large, "S" shaped metal clips, with the green anti-rust coating, if I can't find them.
The link below has the front headliner clips, but not the rear ones. I don't remember which ones are the correct numbers. I actually ordered 3-4 differant sets, and one of them was the right one. I don't know of any way to remove them without breaking them. If fact, I broke two while installing them. You have to line them up exactly, and be really careful!

http://www.atrim.com/index.html
Old 11-27-2005, 08:42 PM   #11
arocars

I'm going to be looking for some of these same clips in the future. I suspect GM would use the same clips on other models of similar years. I plan to check out 81-87 Gran Prix's, Regal's, and Monte's. Each of those models offered various chrome molding packages similar to the Cutlass.
Old 11-29-2005, 03:14 PM   #12
paart

Quote:
Originally Posted by arocars
I'm going to be looking for some of these same clips in the future. I suspect GM would use the same clips on other models of similar years. I plan to check out 81-87 Gran Prix's, Regal's, and Monte's. Each of those models offered various chrome molding packages similar to the Cutlass.
The clips are fine until you remove the chrome, then the springy "arms" on the bottom break off! This has happend to me on every one I've tried to remove! I hope you have better luck. I'm giving up and going with the clips I described above. Now I'n looking for the clips that hold the band across the front of the vinyl top. I've found them for Buick (1/2') narrower, but not for Olds Cutlass.
Old 11-29-2005, 03:33 PM   #13
cutlass crazy88

Cool

How much did it cost you guys that did find those clips from GM to replace them all the way around the car?
Old 11-29-2005, 11:59 PM   #14
arocars

Eastwood sells tools specifically made for removing chrome moldings without breaking the clips.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: