OldsPower.com  

Go Back   OldsPower.com > Discussion > RWD Olds Tech
Register Forums Gallery Support Us! FAQ Mark Forums Read

Help Support OldsPower.com

Old 04-14-2002, 10:11 PM   #1
85CutSupreme

Question Olds 455 rebuild

I am an new member and i need some information. I have a 1973 455 and TH-400 out of an 73 Olds 98 Regency. I dont know the factory specs on it, but i want to know what the comp ratio is and all that good stuff. I am going to rebuild it and want just an every day street ride, but when the time comes i wnat to be able to smoke some tires. If any of you want to email me specs on how you rebuilt yours that would be great. Also if any of you have any tips on putting them into a 85 Cutlass Supreme with a 307 in it now, that would help greatly.

Old 04-14-2002, 10:45 PM   #2
Rob

This is your lucky day. A lot of people here have done this exact same conversion. I am one of them. I even used a 455 from the same year and car you got yours from.

The 455 you have will have the lowest specs available from olds as far as 455's go. 8.5:1 compression. 258 int and 272 exh advertised duration. .440 inch lift on intake and exhaust. It should have the "j" code heads; not much for valve size or chambers. I bored mine .030 over, installed high compression pistons for about 9.7:1 comp. and a one step up from factory cam. These are the only mods I made. Everything else is rebiult to stock. Email me and I'll give you more on what you can do to it and installation tips.

Old 04-15-2002, 04:28 PM   #3
85CutSupreme

Smile

Thank you very very much for your reply and the info. I will e-mail you for the rest. Thanks

Old 04-16-2002, 09:19 PM   #4
83Cutlass

Sorry to butt into your post, guy but I have a quick question. BBO "J" heads are the worst, the brat "worst", heads for a BBO, right? The reason I ask is because I saw a "J" headed Olds engine in the junkyard the other weekend. And they were only on 455's right?

Old 04-17-2002, 08:10 AM   #5
scottb

Title: I Have an Olds Life
83Cutlass,

Correct on the J's. As cast, they're the worst flowing BBO heads. Ported, you can bring the numbers up close to the other factory BBO castings, but it requires more time & effort.

They were originally used on the 1973 and later big blocks, which would all be 455's.

It might still be worth picking up the engine if the price is right. I can't stand to see a BBO wasting away in a JY even if it's not a "most-wanted" vintage.

[This message has been edited by scottb (edited 04-17-2002).]

Old 04-17-2002, 08:21 PM   #6
83Cutlass

Thanks scottb, thats excellent info to know. I'll see what they want for next time I'm there.

Old 04-17-2002, 09:11 PM   #7
Kevin

Lightbulb

A 455 is a 455 is a 455. They aren't making any more of them, and they certainly aren't getting cheaper and easier to find. Unless there is some catastrophic damage that makes it scrap metal, buy it!!! You can usually get these later engines for a lot less cash since they are "smog motors" that most people deem less desireable, but if you're doing a performance build, just about all 455s are equal as long as you're replacing pistons and doing even minor porting. If you don't like the J heads, I'm sure you can find something else to stick on it. I have a '73 and a '74 455 sitting in the garage, but I have pairs of C and G heads to go on them.

Old 04-17-2002, 10:11 PM   #8
85CutSupreme

Do any of you know where I can find other heads other than another motor, like anyone making aftermarket heads. I wouldnt mind a set. And if its any consolation i know where another 1973 455 and TH-400 are sitting in a Regency. I bought my engine and tranny and radiator from him, and I think he wants to get rid of the other set for cheap!! They were parked in working condition, but I already got the other one, so I have no use for it. Probably under 500-600 for both the tranny and engine. No radiator tho. Just thought it might intrest someone.

[This message has been edited by 85CutSupreme (edited 04-17-2002).]

Old 04-18-2002, 09:46 AM   #9
scottb

Title: I Have an Olds Life
Edelbrock offers aftermarket heads for Olds. About $1,500 a pair assembled. They are Aluminum so you're saving a nice bit of weight, in addition to outflowing as-cast factory heads.

You can also still get the Batten-designed race heads from Mondello, if you're bleeding money. They have relocated ports, so they require a specially designed intake and custom headers.

No help for Olds from Dart or those other companies, they don't think there's enough demand to make it worthwhile. But if things work out there may be a new specialty head on the market soon designed by an Olds racer, that will flow substantially better than the E-brocks. Don't expect to buy them for cheap because it will be a low-volume product, but having one more option would be nice.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: