OldsPower.com  

Go Back   OldsPower.com > Discussion > RWD Olds Tech
Register Forums Gallery Support Us! FAQ Mark Forums Read

Help Support OldsPower.com

Old 03-23-2002, 10:48 AM   #1
Garage Goat

Title: Oldsmohaulic
Default Lifter removal???

How do I get the damn things out.I pulled the intake to clean it up for the install saw a bent pushrod and figured the lifter to be bad, yet the damn things won't come out.Oh yea 71 olds 350 with the pan on.I need some help guys.Thanks
________
Corvette leaf spring

Last edited by Garage Goat : 03-24-2011 at 08:46 PM.

Old 03-23-2002, 04:19 PM   #2
83Cutlass

Lifters can get a build up of gummy varnish deposits on the lower part that doesn't slide in its bore. That can cause them to be hard to pull out. You need to get a good grip with a pliers and twist and pull up. eventually it should come out. In extreme cases you would need to pound them out from underneath, but I doubt that'll be the case for you.

Old 03-23-2002, 06:37 PM   #3
Rob

Does the engine have high miles? The lifters could be "mushroomed", meaning the base has flared out and won't go up the tight clearance of the lifter guides. If you can't get them out the top, you may have to remove the cam and install a lifter tray and push them down from the top.

Old 03-23-2002, 09:50 PM   #4
dale illig

Lightbulb

Take some PB blaster,or wd40 and spray around them.Then start to work them up and down.It takes some effort sometimes,because of the buildup behind them,but it will break free.Be patiant

Old 03-23-2002, 11:25 PM   #5
kid350

vice-grips,WD40, and a lil "elbow grease" worked for me.

------------------

Old 03-23-2002, 11:57 PM   #6
H/O W40

Just go to the parts store and buy a lifter puller.

Old 03-25-2002, 11:29 AM   #7
big_body_98

dont waste your time with a lifter puller, is the cam still in, i hope it is, turn the engine over slowly by hand, when the cam pushes the lifter up, grap ahole with a GOOD pair of vise grips, give 'er hell, repeat. if the cam is out, put it back in, dont need lifters in the bottom end. Unless u like pulling oil pans when the motor is in the car.

Old 03-25-2002, 10:16 PM   #8
83Cutlass

Wink

Can you get the cam out before the lifters?? I didn't think so.

Old 03-25-2002, 10:34 PM   #9
H/O W40

Lightbulb

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by big_body_98:
dont waste your time with a lifter puller, is the cam still in, i hope it is, turn the engine over slowly by hand, when the cam pushes the lifter up, grap ahole with a GOOD pair of vise grips, give 'er hell, repeat. </font>
Talk about wasting time, the process you listed is a waste of time. Go spend 12 bucks for the lifter puller and have all the lifters out by the time you can have two out following this process!

Old 03-25-2002, 10:49 PM   #10
Kevin

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 83Cutlass:
Can you get the cam out before the lifters?? I didn't think so.</font>
Actually, yes. I've done it several times on severely gunked up engines. You pull the lifters up as far as they'll come so they're out of the way of the cam. Once the cam is out, you can shove the lifters out the bottom very easily. Then there are the mushroom lifters with a base that is bigger than the body so they have to be installed from the bottom before the cam goes in, and vice versa. But I'm sure this is all of no use here since the engine would appear to be together other than the intake manifold....

If I have to pull a gunked up lifter out the top, I usually just stick a screwdriver in the lifter snap-ring groove and pry it out.

Old 03-25-2002, 11:13 PM   #11
83Cutlass

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kevin:
Actually, yes...</font>
Ok fine then. I guess that would work. Didn't think of that.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: