OldsPower.com  

Go Back   OldsPower.com > Discussion > RWD Olds Tech
Register Forums Gallery Support Us! FAQ Mark Forums Read

Help Support OldsPower.com

Old 07-17-2004, 08:58 PM   #1
BILL DEMMER

Title: Parts Whore of the Apocalypse
Photos: 11  Users Photo Gallery
Default What Made My Coolant Turn Black??

HI ALL,
MY '67 CUTLASS HAS TURNED NY COOLANT BLACK. FLUSH THE SYSTEM LAST FALL UNTIL THE WATER CAME OUT CLEAR THROUGH THE BLOCK DRAIN PLUGS. THIS WAS DONE AFTER USING "GUNK" COOLING SYSTEM CLEANER.
TODAY, WHILE DRIVING I GOT A FAINT HINT OF ANTIFREEZE SMELL IN THE CAR. SO, I PULLED OVER AND POPPED THE HOOD. MY COOLANT RECOVERY TANK WAS MORE FULL THAN USUAL, THE STUFF IN IT WAS BLACK, AND SOMEHOW COOLANT HAD SPRAYED OUT VIOLENTLY.
IT WAS ALL OVER BY THE FILLER NECK AREA, AND DOWN INTO THE FENDER AREA BEHIND THE HEADLIGHTS. THIS CAR HAS BEEN DRIVEN ABOUT 500 MILES SINCE COOLANT SYSTEM FLUSH.
ALSO THERE WAS A "TICKING" SOUND FROM THE PASSENGER SIDE OF THE ENGINE WHILE THE ENGINE WAS NOT RUNNING. IS THIS WHAT I THINK IT MIGHT BE(A HEAD CRACKING??) THAT WOULD REALLY SUCK.
WELL, GIVE YOUR EDUCATED OPINIONS.
THANKS IN ADVANCE
BILL

Old 07-17-2004, 09:39 PM   #2
nheuer

Well that sucks. But anyways Mine turned black when the inside of my hoses started to fall apart. They just deterierated so bad that it turned it black. This may not be your case but either way the ticking sound. Sounds like you have a definate cooling problem. Was it overheating? It sounds like the coolant boiled and forced its way out. I would check the oil for signs of water in it. Reflush the entire system replace the water pump and all the hoses. Obviously if theres water in the oil your gonna need a rebuild. By the way what was the temp at?

Old 07-17-2004, 09:48 PM   #3
TylerW

Title: Truth Talker
Photos: 13  Users Photo Gallery
Send a message via AIM to TylerW Send a message via Yahoo to TylerW

I remember when the Amityville Horror movie came out and the toilets turned black

The fact that the coolant was forced out is ominous. You may want to consider having a pressure check done on the cooling system. Thats where they pressurize the system to the rating pressure and then check for internal and external leaks.

Good Luck...

Old 07-17-2004, 09:52 PM   #4
BILL DEMMER

Nheuer,
I Don't Know What The Temp Was, But The Idiot Light Wasn't On, But Sometimes It Doesn't Work Either. I Did Check The Oil. It Didn't Seem To BE "making Any". Just A 16th Of An Inch Down From Full On Dipstick.
BILL

Last edited by BILL DEMMER : 07-17-2004 at 09:53 PM. Reason: SPELLING ERRORS

Old 07-17-2004, 10:37 PM   #5
chevyboy

the oil was not a milky color by chance was it. but yes a pressure test would be something that i would deffinetely do.

Justin

Old 07-17-2004, 11:22 PM   #6
BILL DEMMER

Chevyboy,
No, The Oil Still Has A Golden Color To It(with A Slight Tan). What I Would Expect For This Motor With 400 Miles On The Oil And Filter Change.
Thanks To All Who Have Replied So Far,
Bill

Old 07-18-2004, 06:53 AM   #7
Smitty275

You most likely have a bad head gasket. I've seen many cases where the head gasket would let it blow out into the cooling system just as you have described. No hint of coolant in the oil either. At the least, retorque the head bolts. Lossen them one at a time and retorque. Then give it a shot. Sometimes success sometimes not, but worth trying. If it still does it then replace the head gaskets.

Old 07-18-2004, 09:36 PM   #8
BILL DEMMER

Thanks To All Who Have Replied

Smitty,
Where Can I Get An Original Head Gasket?
Aren't The Ones Nowadays Like Twice As Thick?
Thanks,
Bill

Old 07-18-2004, 10:13 PM   #9
Smitty275

Yes, unfortunately the originals on your '67 are about .017" thick. The FelPros are about .038" and the Detroits, if you can find them, are .028". In a few months we should have them in .020 but not sure when they will be made. They will be very similar in configuration to the originals and will be made of Stainless.

Old 07-18-2004, 10:50 PM   #10
88 coupe

Hi BILL DEMMER, Hi All
Ticking would be the exhaust manifold cooling after having had liquid sprayed on it.
Your local Mom and Pop radiator shop can save you a lot of grief by accurately diagnosing the problem on the spot. It could be as simple as a radiator cap. make sure you tell them about using "Gunk" as it may or may not be a factor.
Regards, Norm

Old 07-19-2004, 07:28 PM   #11
cutlassjmk

two things already mentioned are most likely it. the radiator cap pressure has a lot more function than you think. wrong pressure can cause bad problems.

unfortunately the problem i think it is, is the head gasket. it can push compression into the water jackets. try letting it run while full of water. start it cold so there is no chance it is hot. if it pumps out the radiator in rhythm with the motor it is a very good (bad) sign it's the head gasket. had it happen to me recently. if it doesn't it does not rule out the head gasket though.

don't know about the black though it was not the case with mine but the hose theory makes the most sense as it is the only thing in the cooling system that is black. oil wouldn't have enough effect to turn it completely black.

you know what i just had an idea, maybe the radiator flush was too much for the old hoses and stripped them inside and the parts that came off could have clogged vital cooling passages, especially radiator, which would suck but makes sense. like if you use a powerful engine flush on an old engine and it breaks up too much buildup and gets picked up by the oil pump, clogs the oil pump and causes a huge problem. it sucks when something works too good doesn't it.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: