OldsPower.com  

Go Back   OldsPower.com > Discussion > RWD Olds Tech
Register Forums Gallery Support Us! FAQ Mark Forums Read

Help Support OldsPower.com

Old 05-05-2004, 06:08 PM   #1
nheuer

Default Center Console in an 85 Cutlass

Are there Center consoles with center shifters for the 85 cutlass and are they cable driven shifters or hard linkage. Since I replaced my tranny with a 350th the shifter doesn't work right or line up. If they don't have one I can gut from a nother cutlass or am i going to have to gut one form an transam and customize it so I get the center shifter? I know the 82 transam shifter will work with the transmission since thats where the tranny came from was my old junk transam. Unfortunatly I junked it before i realized the linkage was all screwed up. Or i would of taken all the crap out of it. But now i'm gonna have to buy it all.

Old 05-05-2004, 06:30 PM   #2
71CutlassConvertible

Title: Olds Gearhead
Photos:Users Photo Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by nheuer
are they cable driven shifters or hard linkage.
Both. There is a cable to move the gear selection lever on the side of the transmission, and a hard linkage from that lever to the steering column. The linkage moves the collar on the column so the neutral safety switch and ignition lock features index properly.

Daily Driver - 355 cid, UltraDyne .485/.485, 217/221 cam, Performer RPM intake, 750 cfm QuadraJet, HEI, Heddman Headers, TH350/Hughes 2500 stall, 3.23 limited slip, BFG 245-60-14s on SSII wheels

Old 05-05-2004, 06:41 PM   #3
nheuer

Then i guess i'm gonna have to go with the transam one. The neutral saftey switch is on the shift lever. The Ignition lock had nothing to do with the Shifter in it. I could shut it off with it in gear no problem but not restart it unless it was in either neutral or park. Man this is gonna be more work well guess i'm gonna get the bucket seats too. Maybe they still have my ta up there and i can get the seat and all from it.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: