OldsPower.com  

Go Back   OldsPower.com > Discussion > Body/Interior/Chassis Repair
Register Forums Gallery Support Us! FAQ Mark Forums Read

Help Support OldsPower.com

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.25 average.
Old 11-26-2003, 09:29 AM   #1
Laurence

Default Rear Window Defogger Wire Reattach

What is the proper way to reattach wire leads to the rear window defog terminals? Are there different ways to do it?

______

Laurence
Old 12-01-2003, 04:20 PM   #2
71CutlassConvertible

Title: Olds Gearhead
Photos:Users Photo Gallery

Expose some copper and solder the wire on would be my advice, but I have never attempted to do it before, so there may be a much better method.
Old 12-01-2003, 07:47 PM   #3
Laurence

Hello 71 CutlassConvertible,

Thanks for the reply.

I did some research and found out that Permatex has a conductive epoxy:

http://www.permatex.com/auto/autogr....tem_no=2 1351

"Permatex® Electrically Conductive Rear Window Defogger Tab Adhesive: Quickly and easily bonds defogger tab to grid on rear window. Provides a low-cost, high-quality repair for damaged rear window defogger tabs. Complete kit for a quick repair."
_

... I'll probably go that route since it's probably the least frustrating way to get the wire reattached.

______

Laurence
Old 12-05-2003, 03:22 PM   #4
Laurence

Today, at NAPA, I purchased one blister pack of Permatex's "Electrically Conductive Rear Window Defogger Tab Adhesive."

It takes about 15-20 minutes for the application process. It comes in two parts - adhesive and activator. One has to wait 24 hrs. before putting "juice" (i.e., current) to the defogger. I also do not yet know how well the parts will stay together...i.e., I'm afraid to tug on the wire terminal to see how strong the adhesion is, but so far it has not separated from the window terminals due to gravity!

I'm not sure how many terminals one package will treat. The package (Permatex part no. 765-2634) contains 0.03 fl. oz. of adhesive and 0.02 fl. oz. of activator. The adhesive is in capsule that one breaks and I don't know how much adhesive is in the broken capsule after one applies some to a terminal.

The cost is about $9.50 with MD tax.

____

Laurence

Last edited by Laurence : 12-05-2003 at 03:27 PM.
Old 12-05-2003, 03:25 PM   #5
Laurence

BTW, the Permatex ad sez ...it's a complete kit. That's not true....rubbing alcohol is needed to clean the terminals before applying the adhesive. Plus, you need scissors or sharp knife to cut the packet that contains the activator...don't use your teeth since the activator probably contains some nasty chemicals.

______

Laurence
Old 12-12-2003, 07:32 PM   #6
V-8 Geo Metro

It also requires the user to posess a pair of functioning hands!
Old 12-16-2003, 10:45 PM   #7
Laurence

Hello V-8 Geo Metro,

I notice that 3M has a copper foil tape, that has conductive adhesive on both sides. I'm thinking that maybe that tape might have been easier in my case since on the older Olds models the rear window defroster/defogger terminals are actually strips about a foot and half long and the leads are braided wire strips (of equal length). The conductive epoxy was designed for the point terminal type connectors because you have to hold the parts together for about five minutes.....it was a real job in my case (I had a partner to help hold the parts together) .... I needed four or more hands.

The 3M Cu conductive tape is tape number 1182. It comes in various widths, the slimmest being 1/4 in.

_____

Laurence

Last edited by Laurence : 12-16-2003 at 10:53 PM.
Old 12-19-2003, 06:05 PM   #8
Laurence

Here's 3M's copper tape in case anyone wants to see if it works in repairing defroster terminals and grid.

http://www.2spi.com/catalog/spec_prep/3m_1181_tape.html

Any electrical or electronic engineers out there who would know if it will not work?

_____

Laurence

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: