OldsPower.com  

Go Back   OldsPower.com > Discussion > Brakes/Suspension/Rear End
Register Forums Gallery Support Us! FAQ Mark Forums Read

Help Support OldsPower.com

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 10-29-2010, 01:52 AM   #26
DoubleV

Title: Don't trust RR!
Default Re: Free G-body chassis mod... highly recommended

One of these days I'll get around to doing the rear frame brace mod, but I think I might weld it in. I just don't know what kind of difference it would make in a non T-top car though.

Botched Olds 350 build by the crooks at Rocket Racing. Lunati 207/213 Voodoo cam, 8.1:1 CR ( was supposed to be 8.8:1 ), Stock #7 heads ( was charged for work that was never done and what was done was done wrong ), American Racing headers, Performer RPM intake, Qjet with 1/2" 4 hole spacer, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe system, cowl induction scoop.

Engine never ran the way it was supposed to from day one due to Rocket Racing's negligence. John Stolpa refuses to contact me about it.
Old 10-29-2010, 05:59 AM   #27
FDWheelMan

Title: Oldsmohaulic
Photos: 16  Users Photo Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to FDWheelMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleV View Post
One of these days I'll get around to doing the rear frame brace mod, but I think I might weld it in. I just don't know what kind of difference it would make in a non T-top car though.
Having done it to two Cutlasses both solid roof and a Delta... It makes a difference.

I would like to weld it in, but for now, it works...

78 Holiday 88 - 350/350 Olds - Daily Servant & Autocross lawn dart - 133 RWHP/208 Ft/lbs Torque.
90 Mustang Coupe - 2.3/T5 - 24 Hours of LeMons Race Car
01 Mustang Bullitt - The car that was built to do all three but sits in the garage, collecting dust.
Old 10-29-2010, 06:43 AM   #28
Beeterolds

Title: Armed and Hammered
Photos: 11  Users Photo Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Beeterolds Send a message via MSN to Beeterolds Send a message via Yahoo to Beeterolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleV View Post
the ass end of the car moves in one motion and the suspension actually does the work.. the frame doesnt seem to flex like a go-karts frame anymore..therefore canceling out a lot of noise too.. i couldnt believe it..

Like ive said ive owned my car for almost 9yrs now.. i know every little squeak and groan rattle and clunk.. and this stupid mod made most of them disappear and the ride more firm...
GM 8.5 3.73
Old 10-29-2010, 07:14 AM   #29
DukeDKT442

Title: The Eve of Resurrection
Photos: 14  Users Photo Gallery
Send a message via AIM to DukeDKT442 Send a message via Yahoo to DukeDKT442

This, bracing the forward frame horns together, and triangulating the rear spring perches are high on my list of to-dos. Once I sit down and actually look at the frame, I'm sure I'll find more to do. FE3X braced the snot out of his.

1986 Olds 442
1984 GMC S-15 sport
2008 BMW X3

Remember, remember the 5th of November.
Old 10-29-2010, 09:03 AM   #30
FE3X CLONE

Title: I Have an Olds Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeDKT442 View Post
This, bracing the forward frame horns together, and triangulating the rear spring perches are high on my list of to-dos. Once I sit down and actually look at the frame, I'm sure I'll find more to do. FE3X braced the snot out of his.

Something else to consider if any of you are doing body work, welding a lot of the body panels solid instead of the factory spot welds REALLY makes these cars more rigid.

We had to replace the trunk floor in my car since mine was rusted out in a few places. That sucker is welded in with one continuous bead and its amazing just how much more stiff the body feels and acts. Granted I haven't had the car on the road but just from jacking the thing up and putting it on jackstands you can tell things are twisting around anymore.

And things have really gotten better after putting the new roof on. Because like the other panels, it got spot welded in the window channels but along the A-pillar, B-pillar and C-pillars, it was welded with one continuous bead. There won't be any cracking at the B-pillar now.

I need to make a new rear bar for my car since mine looks like swiss cheese. Mine essentially looks like Luke's except that I used 1.5"x1" rectangular tubing. However I've drilled holes in it over the years for different things and now plan to make a new one that I weld to the frame. I'm just waiting to get more of the body work done so that I can make sure nothing is going to hit.

1987 Cutlass Supreme FE3X Clone project
EFI455/T-56 6 speed/4.30

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: