PDA

View Full Version : Composite Toe Vs. Steel Toe?

69Rocket-Joe
08-01-2009, 06:55 AM
I have to get new work boots for work and there are reasonably priced composite toe shoes out there as well as the traditional steel toes. Work does not require a steel toe, just a leather upper safety shoe. There is little chance of anything over 500 pounds falling on my feet so I am leaning towards the composite because they are SOOOOOOOOOO much lighter. Thoughts?

-Joe

Beeterolds
08-01-2009, 06:57 AM
Well, if there is little chance of getting hurt, go with the composite ones joe.. I mean, unless you worked at a steel mill or a wrecking yard, i wouldnt use anything that heavy duty.. but thats just me..

rdltmc3
08-01-2009, 07:05 AM
steel toe...i have no reason

marcar1993
08-01-2009, 07:40 AM
steel toe. I've worn steel toe boots for the last 4-5 years, everyday. I don't think they weigh that much, they are fairly comfortable, and are durable. I have had several wal mart pairs, being that I don't have much chance of NEEDING the steel toe. No real complaints, I usually get from 6-8 months from a pair and I'm just about due for another set.

70W-32
08-01-2009, 07:44 AM
According to what I can find on the net, they protect the same
You will be provided the same safety as all of our composite toe shoes meet the same ANSI/ASTM requirements as a steel toe.

86cutty350rkt
08-01-2009, 08:13 AM
the only thing bad about steel toe boots are that ive seen guys where steel toe boots and have ha shyt fall on there toes and have had there toes almost cut off .. because of how the steel is wrapped around the toe section of the boot and something falls on it the steel can buckle and crimp down on your toes .. ive seeen guys go to the hospital and almost loose there toes ... no good .. but i still wear steel toe boots .. i love em .. much easier to kick your car when working on it and something goes wrong or gives u a hard time ...lol

outsider_27
08-01-2009, 08:21 AM
the only thing bad about steel toe boots are that ive seen guys where steel toe boots and have ha shyt fall on there toes and have had there toes almost cut off .. because of how the steel is wrapped around the toe section of the boot and something falls on it the steel can buckle and crimp down on your toes .. ive seeen guys go to the hospital and almost loose there toes ... no good .. but i still wear steel toe boots .. i love em .. much easier to kick your car when working on it and something goes wrong or gives u a hard time ...lol

That's because steel toe boots are not designed to keep your toes safe, but rather to cut them off clean so they can be reattatched. :eek: The composite does the same job, only they are lighter, and your toes may not be cut off clean! In the cold, the composites are better because they have no steel to get cold and freeze your foot!

442_rocket
08-01-2009, 08:26 AM
I like camel-toe.:D

DukeDKT442
08-01-2009, 09:04 AM
As long as they've both got the same Ansi rating so its apples to apples, go with whichever is more comfortable. Personally, I spend 10 hours a day walking around hard steel decks and need the comfort factor over anything. Go to a Factory Brand Shoes and try a few different pairs and see what your feet prefer.

69Rocket-Joe
08-01-2009, 09:14 AM
steel toe. I've worn steel toe boots for the last 4-5 years, everyday. I don't think they weigh that much, they are fairly comfortable, and are durable.

Well part of the problem is mine are big, heavy boots, not shoes. I think they weigh about 3 pounds each. I've worn the same type for about the last 10 years. That was at jobs that were either standing at a machine/work station for a whole shift. Then when I moved into office work I only wore them for short periods of time. After shifting to a supervisor role back on a shop floor I find the weight to tire me out because I am walking about 15 miles a day in them. I didn't realize it was so much until we started a walking program and everyone got a pedometer. That's the only reason I noticed the difference in weights. The composites weigh almost nothing.

As for the steel toes sheering off toes, what the composites do when their range is exceeded is to shatter. This would result in crushed toes, I don't know which would be worse. When I was at the steel mill I had an "oh sh!t" moment. We had the crappiest of crappy forklifts. The thing would slip in and out of gear as it pleased and the hydraulics were weak. We used to work with coils of 1" diameter steel that weighed 3 tons. Anyway we had to lift the coils in the air while we ground the end down to fit in the machine. You had to get off the fork to do so and repeatedly hit the gas and tip the boom back to keep the coil on (bad hydraulics made it sag and tip) well one time I did this and the fork engaged forward and proceeded to go up and over my foot. I felt the steel toe buckle, :eek: :eek: but it didn't completely collapse. It scared the h3ll out of me and it was a little tight getting my foot out. With the load and the fork that was easily 5 tons that rolled over my foot!

-Joe

kevinkpk
08-01-2009, 09:24 AM
Titanium. These are very light and tougher than steel. Also they don't get as cold in winter, mine are Georgia boot company.

mechacode
08-01-2009, 10:55 AM
Get the steel toe and buy a GOOD insole, use that machine they have that you stand on and tells you which one to buy. It's time for me to get a new pair, mine are worn (that had 1/4" deep grooves between the gripping blocks on the bottom) smooth as glass. I'm in the same boat with the walking all day, my feet were dead every day until I started using good insoles.

7T2Z28
08-01-2009, 11:29 AM
That's because steel toe boots are not designed to keep your toes safe, but rather to cut them off clean so they can be reattatched.

Say what?!? You might want to go back and read the standard.

the only thing bad about steel toe boots are that ive seen guys where steel toe boots and have ha shyt fall on there toes and have had there toes almost cut off .. because of how the steel is wrapped around the toe section of the boot and something falls on it the steel can buckle and crimp down on your toes .. ive seeen guys go to the hospital and almost loose there toes ...

If the force is enough to collapse the steel toe, then without it your toes would be done for sure. Hamburger.

OP, if your work environment doesn't require a steel toe, and there's no/little chance of anything real heavy falling on your feet then save your money. If you really want a protective shoe, then I have to recommend the time tested and reliable steel toe. I don't know what kind of "composite" they use in shoes, but I can tell you from a lot of experience with various fiber composites that they typically only take the hit once and then it's no good.

Psyco Diver 69
08-01-2009, 12:26 PM
I use steel toes in both my jobs, I don't need them but I use them because I've learned from experience. I'm a manager for a CVS and when were unloading a truck a couple months ago we use a trailer lift (because the damn scissor lift are to experensive) and these things are SMALL, like you barely fit a pallet and a pallet lift on it small, well we were pulling a heavy pallet, most water, probably 1500-2000lbs and we had a lip to get over so we needed a running start, well I was on the back side pulling because I prefer to be there and the front wheels of the pallet lift go off the lift and the pallet comes right down on my right foot, thank god for my steel toes, wrecked the leather outside, but I barely felt anything on my foot. They have saved me plenty of pain over the years from things falling (the bottoms of boxes love tearing apart) on my toes. I also work at a bowling alley so I'm waiting for the day a bowling ball falls on my foot

Beeterolds
08-01-2009, 12:46 PM
Heres what you need Joe :D F**K safety!

http://men.style.com/slideshows/mens/fashionshows/S2010MEN/JSMEN/DETAILS/00130m.jpg

Garage Goat
08-01-2009, 12:48 PM
I use steel toes in both my jobs, I don't need them but I use them because I've learned from experience. I'm a manager for a CVS and when were unloading a truck a couple months ago we use a trailer lift (because the damn scissor lift are to experensive) and these things are SMALL, like you barely fit a pallet and a pallet lift on it small, well we were pulling a heavy pallet, most water, probably 1500-2000lbs and we had a lip to get over so we needed a running start, well I was on the back side pulling because I prefer to be there and the front wheels of the pallet lift go off the lift and the pallet comes right down on my right foot, thank god for my steel toes, wrecked the leather outside, but I barely felt anything on my foot. They have saved me plenty of pain over the years from things falling (the bottoms of boxes love tearing apart) on my toes. I also work at a bowling alley so I'm waiting for the day a bowling ball falls on my foot

Wow small world I drove those CVS trucks in Florida! Yet also had a pallet jack catch the toe of my boot as I was going thru two sets of swing doors. I would not be walking today if I haden't has steel toe boots on.:eek:

kevinkpk
08-01-2009, 01:27 PM
Get the steel toe and buy a GOOD insole, use that machine they have that you stand on and tells you which one to buy. It's time for me to get a new pair, mine are worn (that had 1/4" deep grooves between the gripping blocks on the bottom) smooth as glass. I'm in the same boat with the walking all day, my feet were dead every day until I started using good insoles.

Insoles make the shoe. I've done alot of backpacking and plain ole walking, you gotta have foot comfort. Titanium toes, and perhaps a shank, is what I have. Titanium is much stronger and alot lighter than steel. I'd suggest you try out different types and see what you like best. My low tops are maybe 2 lbs the pair in wieght.

vista71
08-01-2009, 01:29 PM
Titanium. These are very light and tougher than steel.

Most of us where I work where Timberland titaniums, very light for a boot and very comfortable right off the bat. About $120 around here.

http://www.timberland.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=1780842&cp=1762199&clickid=mainnav_browse_txt

marcar1993
08-01-2009, 01:43 PM
Well part of the problem is mine are big, heavy boots, not shoes. I think they weigh about 3 pounds each. I've worn the same type for about the last 10 years. That was at jobs that were either standing at a machine/work station for a whole shift. Then when I moved into office work I only wore them for short periods of time. After shifting to a supervisor role back on a shop floor I find the weight to tire me out because I am walking about 15 miles a day in them. I didn't realize it was so much until we started a walking program and everyone got a pedometer. That's the only reason I noticed the difference in weights. The composites weigh almost nothing.

I have heavy boots too. And I walk alot, I ride my bike in them too. When I had my very serious summer of bmx'ing I wore steel toe boots the whole time.
Oh and I've rolled my foot over with a honda civic bubble with no motor in it, a few years back helping out a friend.

dan2286
08-01-2009, 02:30 PM
Oh and I've rolled my foot over with a honda civic bubble with no motor in it, a few years back helping out a friend.

That isn't anything. I have had a pick up truck run over my foot while wearing tennis shoes and nothing bad happened, just a little tingling:laugh:

I don't think it's the weight that does the damage, it is the force that it comes down that causes damage.

Eightupman
08-01-2009, 04:15 PM
Heres what you need Joe :D F**K safety!

http://men.style.com/slideshows/mens/fashionshows/S2010MEN/JSMEN/DETAILS/00130m.jpg

You managed to find a pair of mandals? You are a hoemoe.

John

Eightupman
08-01-2009, 04:19 PM
I have to get new work boots for work and there are reasonably priced composite toe shoes out there as well as the traditional steel toes. Work does not require a steel toe, just a leather upper safety shoe. There is little chance of anything over 500 pounds falling on my feet so I am leaning towards the composite because they are SOOOOOOOOOO much lighter. Thoughts?

-Joe

Composite. And then a pair of these....http://www.sofsole.com/home.aspx?g=m&n=6

$20. 1 year warranty. The most awesome insoles I have ever owned.

John

outsider_27
08-01-2009, 06:08 PM
That isn't anything. I have had a pick up truck run over my foot while wearing tennis shoes and nothing bad happened, just a little tingling:laugh:

I don't think it's the weight that does the damage, it is the force that it comes down that causes damage.

In high school a friend of mine asked another friend of his to drive over his foot with a 74 Camaro. He was wearing tennis shoes and it didn't seem to bother him. :nuts:

69hurstolds
08-01-2009, 06:33 PM
I've been wearing safety shoes since I was a baby I think. It's been a LONG time, that I do know.

Composites that meet the same ANSI Z41.1 or ASTM standard (I think it's like 50 pounds dropped from 1.5 feet or something like that- go look it up, I don't know for sure) will suffice.

Steel toe or composite toe safety shoes are a personal choice. Some swear by one or the other.

I used to swear by the steel toe, until about 5 years ago, just for the heck of it, I bought a composite toe shoe at the same time I bought some steel toes (both Red Wings full lace up boot). Company paid for it, so why not? Anyway, I couldn't believe how light those jokers were in comparison and my feet didn't feel like I was slogging through the mud at the end of the day. From then on, composite toe works for me. Currently, I'm wearing a Converse composite shoe. More like a sports shoe than a safety shoe. Just a tad heavier than regular shoes, but way lighter than the steel toe. And I've beat on these at work, and they've held up just as well as the steel in my environment.

Again, if the ANSI/ASTM standards are equal, if you can, give both a try, see what you think for yourself. That's my advice.

86cutman
08-01-2009, 08:00 PM
I like camel-toe.:D

you dont have to lie you know you prefer camel toe's evil sister :evil: :blbl:

http://www.oldspower.com/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=18397&stc=1&d=1249182014

one442
08-01-2009, 08:25 PM

This makes me never want to get steel toe anything. How ironic that the added protection can actually do the most damage.

mechacode
08-01-2009, 08:59 PM
Steel toes are rated for blunt impact, not constant weight iirc. I remember reading the little card that came with mine, it was something like a 10,000lb hit for 2 seconds of impact (just enough time for a forklift to drive over it). I guess I don't notice the weight but I usually wear 5lb ankle weights.

Eightupman
08-02-2009, 04:39 AM
I guess I don't notice the weight but I usually wear 5lb ankle weights.

Oh so THAT is what you are calling your probation monitor now? :jest:

John

Cutlass84
08-02-2009, 08:02 AM
I second the timberland ti's, i've also had the wolverine with the composite toes and they were good too. Timberland with the powerfit footbed is a damn comfortable boot though!

Psyco Diver 69
08-02-2009, 11:43 AM
I hate to say it cause I hate walmart but I bought a pair of their Brahma steel toe boots, thier water proof and antislip, really nice shoes, I'm on my feet all day at both jobs so if I get a year out of my shoes I'm lucky. I think only paid $50 for them

86cutman
08-02-2009, 11:50 AM
i know this is :off: but i must say Cutlass84 i love the color and stance you have looks fantastic :tup: :tup: sorry hijack over

mike's88
08-02-2009, 02:25 PM
I hate to say it cause I hate walmart but I bought a pair of their Brahma steel toe boots, thier water proof and antislip, really nice shoes, I'm on my feet all day at both jobs so if I get a year out of my shoes I'm lucky. I think only paid $50 for themI've had those also. Last pair lasted about 1 1/2 years. Now I wear the composit gym shoe type by converse, probably the same type as 69hurstolds spoke of. I like them so far, but wait until winter for 2nd opinion.

mechacode
08-02-2009, 05:29 PM
Oh so THAT is what you are calling your probation monitor now? :jest:

John

Haha Haven't had to wear one of those things so far. I know a few guys that have GPS on them for LIFE. Considering who they are, thank god for that.

I hate to say it cause I hate walmart but I bought a pair of their Brahma steel toe boots, thier water proof and antislip, really nice shoes, I'm on my feet all day at both jobs so if I get a year out of my shoes I'm lucky. I think only paid $50 for them

I think those are the ones I bought, those or the kane versions. They only cost 25-30 and I go through two pairs a year.

GBodyFreak
08-03-2009, 12:14 PM
you dont have to lie you know you prefer camel toe's evil sister :evil: :blbl:

http://www.oldspower.com/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=18397&stc=1&d=1249182014

I've got a great story/joke about something like that, but I'd be banned for sure. As far as the steel toe boots, I've got some Nautilus brand shoes that work great for me, much lighter than the Carolina boots at home and look just like a regular shoe.