PDA

View Full Version : Flowtech Afterburner Headers= Junk

wagon
09-30-2004, 06:53 PM
I purchased and installed a set of ceramic coated Flowtech Afterburner headers last fall and was happy with how they looked, they fit pretty tight but what full length headers don't. I thought to myself "AHH, no more rusty headers". Well snow fell soon after and the car was left to fend for itself in the yard with no exhaust and a junk carb. Along came spring, I popped the hood and "WHAT THE F*CK", the headers were as rusty as the old cheapo depot ones were, I called summit they said call jet hot, i called jet hot they said they never did coating for flowtech, I call flowtech and was promptly put on hold for a good 10 minutes told them my problem with their product and they said, drum roll please, "tough". 90 day warranty and after that no dice. OK FINE, i'll just get the torquetech 3 inch exhaust on and deal with that later, but, low and behold, the right side header is so out of whack theres no way i could get the exhaust on, the collector is pointing at the rear wheel instead of straight back. Point of story, don't buy those crappy headers, i should have caught on when i saw flowtech is a holley company.

vanzcorp
09-30-2004, 08:12 PM
is this a chevy engine? cuz I dont think they make the afterburner headers for an olds engine. does holley really suck?

83Cutlass
09-30-2004, 09:09 PM
I sent my uncoated flowtech afterburner headers straight to Jet Hot to get them coated. It came out good. But I think I overheated the coating during the engine break in (incorrect ign timing = glowing headers). But they still look good. But then I got in an accident and a bunch of coolant and battery acid got on the RH header and there is a small rust spot now.
But I still don't really like the afterburner header ether. It fits somewhat poorly (like all headers) and the LH one is several (maybe 4) inches shorter then the RH one (at least for a g-body).
But I also run a 13.2 @ 102mph through them so they must be ok

blonzz
09-30-2004, 09:56 PM
i should have caught on when i saw flowtech is a holley company.

So is Hooker and Lunati.

John

425hpOlds
10-05-2004, 10:33 PM
Flowtech is junk.

Hooker Comps are maybe one level better - maybe.

Dynomax - revamped Blackjack headers, have fun dragging your collectors on any speedbump.

Hedman makes a good header, but I hate the fact that the flanges are left loose. Makes them prone to leak.

About the only header I like is Hooker Super Comps. Of course, they are the most expense set I could find short of Kooks.

Kooks rule, but I haven't hit the lottery yet...

Nick Davis
10-05-2004, 10:45 PM
Kooks sure ain't cheap, but they're the only plan if you want something that not only fits on the first try but also lasts long. Just IMHO.

Psyco Diver 69
10-05-2004, 11:11 PM
I have Blackjack headers and I never had any issues with dragging them

vanzcorp
10-06-2004, 08:50 AM
Yeah I'd like to know what else might be wrong with the dynomax headers cuz I'll probably endup buying those

86OLDS442_403
10-07-2004, 05:30 PM
I am in the process of getting the Flowtech coated headers to fit properly in my '86 442. One of the tubes on both headers hits the crossmember :mad: . Looks like I have to take them out and try to bend or hammer them a little so they will clear. Header leaks are so annoying. Has anyone used the Stage 8 locking header bolts (http://www.stage8.com/AutomotiveStart.htm)? I just had the exhaust made up. 3" from the header to the muffler out to 2 1/2". The G-Force crossmember http://www.geocities.com/gforcejohn/ worked great :) .

bigdoug
10-10-2004, 01:10 PM
arnt w-z manifolds just grand fit great and flow good enough for my 461 with 3" exhaust :bling:

Garage Goat
10-14-2004, 03:47 PM
Flowtech is junk.

Hooker Comps are maybe one level better - maybe.

Dynomax - revamped Blackjack headers, have fun dragging your collectors on any speedbump.

Hedman makes a good header, but I hate the fact that the flanges are left loose. Makes them prone to leak.

About the only header I like is Hooker Super Comps. Of course, they are the most expense set I could find short of Kooks.

Kooks rule, but I haven't hit the lottery yet...

Whatdo you mean that the headman flanges are left loose :confused:

425hpOlds
10-14-2004, 04:03 PM
Whatdo you mean that the headman flanges are left loose :confused:

Sorry, the collector flanges are loose (i.e. they spin around the collector.) This makes them prone to leaking if you hit the collector or if the exhaust system shifts.

Super comp flanges are welded to the collector. They don't move when the exhaust system shifts...

1986 Olds
01-16-2005, 03:54 PM
What about hedmann headers?