OldsPower.com  

Go Back   OldsPower.com > Discussion > Electronics/Wiring/Enviromental Control
Register Forums Gallery Support Us! FAQ Mark Forums Read

Help Support OldsPower.com

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 05-03-2009, 12:17 AM   #1
lurk520

Default Under dash ac unit?

Any body know about these under dash ac units? Are they fully functional or do they tie into other components already on the vehicle? Like the condenser, evaporator, etc. I'm wondering if it would be more economical to install an under dash unit, rather than repairing the ac system (which needs a lot of work) already on my car.
Old 05-03-2009, 11:52 AM   #2
lurk520

Default Re: Under dash ac unit?

Never mind, it sounds like it's just the vents, an evaporator, a blower fan and the controls. Guess there is no easy way out huh.
Old 05-03-2009, 01:40 PM   #3
kevinkpk

Title: Old age and treachery
Send a message via AIM to kevinkpk

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurk520 View Post
Never mind, it sounds like it's just the vents, an evaporator, a blower fan and the controls. Guess there is no easy way out huh.
Post more information, I am not clear on your current problem with your A/C, and "sounds" like you are wanting to put an under dash 'add on" unit? What type of car?
This is America, after all. We didn't read a manual to build it.
Old 05-03-2009, 02:17 PM   #5
slowcord

Title: I Have an Olds Life
Photos:Users Photo Gallery

CaptJim: do you have any better pics of that setup? how much did it cost? is there a website? does it cool better than the factory stuff?

Current Rides:
89 Olds Toronado Trofeo
92 Nissan NX2000
Old 05-03-2009, 02:54 PM   #6
kevinkpk

I was thinking back when factory A/C was under the dash such as a 65 Chrysler wagon with compressor under the hood, and evap coil,fan/unit actually under the dash.
Old 05-03-2009, 07:53 PM   #7
lurk520

All the info about my cars ac is in the thread "Climate control over haul", which is posted about 9 or 10 threads down from this one. I was just trying to find a more economical way of getting ac into my vehicle, but I was having pipe dreams I guess........
Old 05-04-2009, 02:19 PM   #10
joe_padavano

Photos:Users Photo Gallery

Quote:
Any body know about these under dash ac units? Are they fully functional or do they tie into other components already on the vehicle? Like the condenser, evaporator, etc. I'm wondering if it would be more economical to install an under dash unit, rather than repairing the ac system (which needs a lot of work) already on my car.
Let's recap, because I think there's some talking past each other. Back in the 60s, just after the Earth cooled, A/C was relatively rare in cars. Many companies sold add-on under dash units that included the evaporator, fan motor, and vents. There was still a compressor that needed to be hung on the engine and a condensor that had to be mounted in front of the radiator.

The other option is the small, behind-the-dash units like those popularized by Vintage Air (like the one captjim shows pictures of). These can be had as A/C only or full function (A/C, heat, and defrost). They still require an underhood compressor and condensor, but they take up less space and thus are popular in street rods and as a way to get the big A/C box off the firewall on muscle cars.

In either case, the system still requires a compressor and condenser. You still need to reject the heat outside the passenger compartment. By the way, Vintage Air has just started selling repros of the old Mark IV under dash systems (with new small compressors) for that period correct look.

If you are just trying to avoid fixing your existing system, neither of these will be less expensive. More to the point, your existing hardware will likely be in the way and will need to be removed. If the car already has A/C, you will be money ahead to just fix the stock system. If you really want to clean up the firewall, then the system captjim shows works great. If you just want the A/C to work, that's a more expensive solution.

62 F-85 Deluxe wagon (the NV desert car)
62 F-85 Deluxe wagon (the San Jose, CA car)
64 Jetstar 88 Conv
66 442 L-69 Conv
68 W-30
69 H/O
69 442
70 W-30
72 442
84 Custom Cruiser
86 Caprice wagon (w/307 Olds)
Old 05-04-2009, 07:53 PM   #11
lurk520

I've officially been edumacated. Somebody outside the forum kinda misled me about the add on under dash units. Guess my only option would be to fix the existing hardware. Or maybe I could hang a bag of ice from the rear view mirror and blow on it with a battery operated fan????? No no.... that would completely go against the theory of air conditioning.....
Old 05-04-2009, 07:55 PM   #12
kevinkpk

Quote:
I've officially been edumacated. Somebody outside the forum kinda misled me about the add on under dash units. Guess my only option would be to fix the existing hardware. Or maybe I could hang a bag of ice from the rear view mirror and blow on it with a battery operated fan????? No no.... that would completely go against the theory of air conditioning.....
You might post what dosen't work with you're exsisting system.
Old 05-05-2009, 07:48 AM   #13
LedHed430

Photos: 33  Users Photo Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_padavano View Post
Let's recap, because I think there's some talking past each other. Back in the 60s, just after the Earth cooled, A/C was relatively rare in cars. Many companies sold add-on under dash units that included the evaporator, fan motor, and vents. There was still a compressor that needed to be hung on the engine and a condensor that had to be mounted in front of the radiator....

In either case, the system still requires a compressor and condenser. You still need to reject the heat outside the passenger compartment. By the way, Vintage Air has just started selling repros of the old Mark IV under dash systems (with new small compressors) for that period correct look.
Their Mark V resembles the unit I pulled out of my '66 Dart, but not quite. As I recall the one I had, had pushbutton controls instead of knobs. My Dad's still pissed that I chunked it and the compressor... Put yourself back in a sixteen year-old mindset... It doesn't work, it weighs a ton, it's in a convertible... what the hell do I need air conditioning for?... Out it went... Then I realized it's nice to have A/C in a rag top when it's raining.

Rich
'76 Pontiac Bonneville, 400/400, *CRUSHED* Engine & Tranny saved, Das Boot(hooptie)
'99 GMC Sierra, ton, 5.3l w/Hypertech tuning

-Repeal the 17th-

Old 05-05-2009, 06:44 PM   #14
lurk520

(1986 Olds 98 Regency Brghm) I'm really not sure what works at this point with my ac system. I've had this car for about 6 years now, and I've never had ac because the whole system under the hood is disconnected, by a previous owner(anybody know why that would be????). All the hoses going to the accumulator and the condenser are disconnected and stuffed with rags. The car was crashed in the front when I bought it, so I'm gonna need a new condenser for starters, the accumulator has been disconnected for so long I might as well get the upgraded retrofit version, I can see a hose that looks cracked, AC hasn't been ran in so long so I don't know how the seals are in the compressor either, on top of all that it will need charged. In parts alone that's over 500$.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: